Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opamp

Refinishing engineered wood

opamp
10 years ago

Hi

We are in the market for engineered wood and we like a coffee stained maple or hickory which is hand scrapped.
These come with different veneer thickness from 1.6mm to 4mm and the sales people say a thicker veneer can be re-sanded and refinished if need be in future. I'm a bit skeptical and I wouldn't want to pay a premium for thicker veneer if I cant refinish it later.

So to the floor experts out there

1. Can hand scrapped or distressed engineered wood be refinished?
2. Can maple/hickory, being dense woods, be successfully stained and refinished to a dark (coffee)color?
3. Most engineered woods come with an aluminum oxide protective coating. Can woods having this protective coating be refinished?

If answer to 1,2 or 3 is a No then why should I buy a thicker veneer product?

thanks

Comments (6)

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Yes to all your questions.

Few things though. To get all th hand scrape marks out requires an agressive sand. Which may limit the refinish to one time. Aluminum oxide is tough to sand but can be done. Only a pro should do the refnishing as sanding thru the vener is very easy.

Should also make sure the subfloor or concrete (which ever substrate applies to you) needs to be FLAT!! Any humps or dips can easily cause a sand through the vener during a refinish.

The staining process for engineered maple or hickory is different than what a pro refinisher may use. So be aware that staining maple or hickory will look different (ie blotchy) during a refnish. Doesnt look bad. Just different.

• opamp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks gregmills.

Between hickory and maple which is easier to stain a darker color during refinish?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I've heard the AO finishes are near impossible to get through. You might want to get an estimate first. It could be prohibitively high due to risk or difficulty.

Even so, you might want the thicker wear layer. I would research that.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 21:37

• ruthie51
    10 years ago

As a homeowner whose entire first floor is 5" wide plank natural engineered maple, I will tell you that aside from the refinishing aspect, a thicker floor would probably wear better. Our floor is somewhat thin (we went through the builder; despite the fact that it's an upgrade and was very expensive, it's in the middle quality as far as thickness), it dents VERY easily. I would assume that a thicker layer floor would stand up better to items being dropped. Also, no spike heels allowed.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

AO finishes are more difficult than your standard urethane finish. But not impossible. Requires good technique and experience along with a good eye to refinish a prefinished floor. Def not something to be attempted by a DIYer.
    May cost more imply do to the amount of work/materials required.

The biggest problems that occur is what an engineered floor is layed on a very unlevel surface. Then when one attempts to refinish said floor leads to sanding thru the vener while trying to sand flush.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler