Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How did you choose Carpet Color, tone, shade...

Posted by tyjy (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 17:58

Finally narrowed down my carpet choice but not the color. Got several carpet samples (about 17" x 27")home and I'm driving everyone crazy choosing. I've put the samples next to a chair I just bought & hope to have forever...& next to adjoining hardwood floors ...and woodwork...and then took pictures with the flash then without the flash...etc. etc. etc. Sometimes I seem to see a pinkish tone then it's perfect then maybe it's too dark then maybe it's too light! Then it all over in the other rooms... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh is all I can say!

How did you finally choose?
What did you compare the samples to for an accurate look?
Is it safer to trust the camera's eye or your own?
Does carpet, once down, look lighter or darker than the sample?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How did you choose Carpet Color, tone, shade...

Carpet should coordinate with the permanant elements of the home, such as the wood floors, and any stained woodwork. Anything else in the home can change, such as paint colors and furniture.

Take a blank white sheet of paper and cut a small hole in the middle. Place that over your samples. That will help you to isolate the color undertones. Do the same thing with your wood floors and any other permanent elements in the home. You should match your color undertones unless you are planning on changing out the wood. For instance, oak is often orange, which is a mix of red and yellow undertones. Carpet that coordinates with it will have a bit of the red or yellow undertones. No cool tones like greens or blues. A lot of "taupe" carpet IS actually "pink beige", but that does work well with a lot of the red toned woods.

o
RE: How did you choose Carpet Color, tone, shade...

hollysprings: thank you so much for posting! It's that color theory that has me soooo frustrated. Your explanation helped me feel a lot better that I'm not crazy for seeeeeeing that pinkish undertone in the sample I was looking at here at home! I was starting to think it was all in my mind!!

Our woodwork is an orangy oak & I really don't want a "taupe" that's "pink beige". Would you say bringing a sample outside in sunshine gives you the truer color of the carpet or inside the house with daylight coming in the windows? (does the color of the woodwork affect (or reflect) the tone of the carpet if inside?)

Again, Thank you So much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here