Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

Reclaiming Hardwood Red Oak Floors..help!

navi_jen
9 years ago

So, I am browsing the internet last night to see what kind of sticker shock I'm going to be in for when I put down new HWF downstairs and patch the upstairs (stupid PO's cats). Good lordy..$9 bucks a square foot for heart pine. Ouchie. I have been debating tearing up the HWF upstairs as there is still a bit of Smelly Cat left, but at this price, no way.

So, I turn to CL and find an ad for what might be a teardown. Could this be the 1 in a million and I can snatch the wood before it's torn down? So I send an email, thinking what the heck, no harm no foul, right?

Well, I get an email back today. It IS a teardown, and they have 3k feet of red oak...and he's happy to show it to me if I would like it.

Holy crap! Have I hit the jackpot? So my question for the GW team is:

First off...what kind of wood is in my house? Pics below, in case I need to match/patch...

Secondly, for the Red Oak House:

1. How do I determine how much 'life' a HWF has it in? (I'm assuming it's the remaining height of the individual wood pieces?)
2. What's a reasonable price (per sq ft) to purchase a red oak 'tear up'? (and remember, I'm in Boston, where everything is super duper expensive)?
3. How much extra should I buy?
4. I think I would kill myself trying to do this solo. Any ideas on getting helpers (no way my friends will do this...too backbreaking & they already think I'm nuts)
5. What is involved with having a HWF guy install and refinish a HWF that I salvage?
6. Is a HWF guy going to be ticked that they aren't getting the material cost markup???

Thanks 100x in advance....

Jen

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner