Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are moisture barrier carpet pads (Nike StepAhead) really noisy?

Posted by dukehoops02 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 17:50

Hi,

Just ordered new carpet + pad from the Home Depot and am wondering whether I made a mistake with my pad selection.

I ordered 70oz Softly 2 carpet (link: http://goo.gl/UrxaMC) and Nike StepAhead 8lb moisture barrier padding (link: http://goo.gl/1qiCMB). There are several reviews of the latter complaining of creaking noise coming from the pad - even a YouTube video demo'ing it (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_BL4uIbTMk). Other people say that the creaking is likely due to a thin carpet. (In which case I think I'd be in the clear)

Not sure which is the case. Does anyone have experience with the above carpet + pad combination? Any opinion on whether the StepAhead (and/or moisture barrier pads in general) cause cracking or squeaking noise?

Thank you,
-nikita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are moisture barrier carpet pads (Nike StepAhead) really nois

I suggest you to purchase a little thick carpet with this type of pad. It makes noises because of thin carpet. If you will use thick carpet, it will set up good with this pad.

o

I suggest you to purchase a little thick carpet with this type of pad. It makes noises because of thin carpet. If you will use thick carpet, it will set up good with this pad.

o

o

In rare instances, rebond pad can squeak or creak. Rebond pad contains a variety of different types of granulated urethane foam - some firm and some soft. It can happen where a harder piece of foam is positioned vertically and rubs against the carpet backing or against the subfloor making the sound in the video. It is a very rare problem; the fix is to simply pull the offending tiny piece of plastic from the pad. This requires the carpet to be pulled up, which can be difficult to do after installation.

Crinkling is also rare and happens when the thicker moisture barrier film does not properly adhere to the cushion. In this case, the pad has to be removed and replaced with properly made cushion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here