Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
4onthfloor

Flooring install question(s)

4onthfloor
10 years ago

Hi there - joined the forum just to get some feedback on my first-ever flooring install. I recently had click-lock flooring installed throughout my condo and noticed a few small scratches/grooves and a couple of small dents from when the installers moved furniture back. None of these actually broke through the finish of the floors and they probably wouldn't be noticeable to anyone other than the guy who just paid thousands of dollars to have his floors done. They also attempted to reinstall a custom sliding door that opens to my den (which was never discussed) by drilling into the floor and placing the hardware in the wrong places. They filled the holes and they also would not be noticeable to anyone other than me. I've attached a photo of 2 of the 5 total scratches as well as the drill hole filling.

I pointed out all of the blemishes and they responded with: "these are very minor issues, and as soon as you have people come over wearing high heels, etc. you will see the same marks...". I get that. I know they are very minor. But they're still there, and put there by the people who installed the floor.

Their solution for fixing would be to pop out the damaged planks and actually saw off the click-lock tabs on the new planks and then glue them down, so as to avoid having to remove the baseboards again. According to them this fix is "industry standard" for customers with click-lock flooring issues. It is my understanding based on the quick research I did online that this is NOT the way to fix issues with click-lock floors. It is clear to me that they don't want to have to move the furniture again, take off the baseboards and redo the click-lock flooring just for minor blemishes.

Wanted to get people's thoughts/opinions here since this is my first experience with a flooring install. Am I obsessing too much and is this more trouble than it's worth for a few small scratches/dents and a couple of filled drill holes, considering more damage could be done during the "fix"? Would I be better off just negotiating a discount and waiting until the floors are a little more beat up before I go through the whole process again?

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz