Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newskilz_gw

help need price advice for ny area flooring

newskilz
10 years ago

PLEASE HELP!
This is the first time I am refinishing my red oak floor and we have chosen to use the Rubio Monocoat Fume & Rubio Monocoat Hard wax Oil finish.(no poly) We live in Staten Island, NY and I am not sure what a "good" price should be. If anyone from the NY or Staten Island area knows how much it should cost to refinish a hardwood floor per sq ft. I would appreciate some guidance. I've gotten a quote that is $6 a sq/ft & $5 a sq/ft any ideas as this is much more then a typical strip/sand, stain & polyurethane.

thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

When I worked mostly on Staten Island, $6 per square foot is what I got for custom work...and all of it was custom. You can get work for as little as $1.25 if you shop around, but good luck with that. I think you probably can get what you want for about $5...Rubio Monocoat is fairly new, so it is custom work.

Good luck.

• newskilz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks glennsfc - I was hoping you would respond to my question. Do you like the Rubio products? I hear great things about it. Our floors currently look like this and we want them to look more like that on the right. We are going to test of course. Any opinions on products. We are looking for a more natural finish to the floors, ie: shiny poly. ALSO should the price they give us include the materials or is that additional?
    Thanks again!

This post was edited by newskilz on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 9:45

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

The pricing you get should include all materials. Make sure that is so to avoid having a contractor give you a low ball price and then present you with additional costs after the job is complete. Unfortunately most flooring, regardless of what it is, gets marketed that way to entice the consumer to buy the product or service. Get something in writing that spells out what products will be used, how the job will be done and what the contractor will expect from you.

I have not worked with Rubio Monocoat yet, but colleagues love the concept and the visual results. To get your floors to look anything like the picture on the right is custom work. What is your time frame for the work, if I may ask?

• newskilz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi glennsfc - thanks so much for the info. We have some time to do the floors but for us the sooner the better. We have been living in a construction zone for over a year now with the kitchen Reno. Why do you ask? Do you know anyone you could recommend? I'm shocked we have had a few people come but no one has followed up with a proposal. Wednesday night we have someone new coming to look. Hopefully they want to do it.
    Thanks again.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Oh...just toying with the idea of coming out of retirement! lol

Let me know how your search comes out.

• newskilz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Glensfc-
    We are still batting zero. But I did find another company that says they do the Rubio often in the city. I'll keep you posted if you need to dust off your sander & knee pads!

Leslie

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Thanks for your update. Hope the new company can at least show up. If you still bat zero...let me know.

• mypalhal
    8 years ago

newskilz--- two years later and i am you. did you find someone to do the rubio monocoat? i'm on staten island and I think that's what I want. thanks!