Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janejanel

Mirage Flooring - Love... But!

janejanel
9 years ago

Have lurked on Gardenweb for a while, and I have finally completed my renovation and wanted to pay it forward by giving my initial impressions of products I got.

I have all hard flooring, tile in kitchen and bathroom, wood everywhere else. My wood flooring is a Mirage 5" Engineered in Knotty Walnut, in a cashmere finish.

Until last night, this flooring is one of my favorite parts of the renovation. I've only moved in for about 2 weeks (still need furniture), but I have been dusting it and wiping it down (that contractor dust keeps coming back...) regularly so I can walk barefoot because that cashmere finish feels delicious on your feet. Got Engineered because I wanted the 5" planks which only came in Engineered.

Thoughts re: Knotty Walnut finish - see picture. I was going for a modern rustic feel, and I think it hit the spot. It's a natural walnut finish, with lots of variation in the wood that has some beautiful grains. Yes there are knots with holes in them, but they seem to be coated nicely for the most part. To manage that, I asked my contractor to select the boards no or minimal "holes" for the living room (where there would be higher traffic) and also limit color variations (to keep the living room more neutral). I used the higher color variation and slightly more "hole-y" planks for my bedroom. Anything with too big a hole/imperfections that would be dirt collectors I asked him to put aside and not use (as I had ordered extra as per everyone's advice). Walnut, as woods go, is not particularly hard, and I have seens dents in the floor already, but it doesn't bother me so much as it's not super visible. I do not have pets or kids.
Cashmere Finish - Love it. Has a great tactile feel on feet. Does not seem to show smudge dire that easily, though you can see a little if you're looking.

Last night, however, I was happily Swiffering my floor (I still pick up ridiculous amounts of dust 2 weeks in despite daily dusting/vacuuming) when I felt a tug and found that one plank had split and a splinter had peeled off (!). I found another plank that has some cracks that look like they're on the verge of splitting. Both are located in the middle of the living room, so I'm kind of upset.

Any ideas?

Comments (17)

• janejanel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the split/crack... The jagged part that hasn't peeled up yet is definitely lifted so that it would snag easily, maybe give splinters...

• janejanel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another angle of the floors... I really like it, other than this split issue....

• gamountains
    9 years ago

It's referred to wind shake which is considered a manufacturing issue. It surprises me to see this with an engineered hardwood. It should be an easy fix by replacing the boards.

• janejanel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, gamountains... I have plenty of boards left, so that's not the issue, but would I have to rip up all the boards and base molding to replace the board? That's a lot of work that I'd have to bring the contractors back in for, and I'm worried about destroying the stuff already in place...

• janejanel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got a call back from Mirage, and they basically told me the same thing, to replace the board. They said it wasn't a warranty issue unless a lot of the boards start failing, in which case they would investigate... if boards start failing here and there, it's not their problem. They also recommended glue down for the replacement board instead if nailing.

• Sarah White
    8 years ago

I am considering a Mirage engineered product. I love the knotted walnut but something harder if possible, so almost definitely going with maple. Have you continued to have issues or was this it?

• carynia
    8 years ago

@janejanel ~ Do you still love your floors, and Do you have more pics that show how varied the floor color is? I suppose your natural walnut is lighter than the stained versions. We love the warm medium brown color of Mirage Knotty Walnut Savanna but are wondering how much light/dark variation there will be with the Savanna version. We like grain variation but don't want too wild of a light/dark contrast. Can anyone please post more pics of Mirage Walnut floors, or the Knotty Walnut Savanna in particular? We need to decide yesterday, so any info would be much appreciated!

• janejanel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi carynia, I do still love my floors, but in this half a year, I have managed to scratch it some more >_< It's not super visible unless you're looking for it or the light hits it right. The matte finish is excellent for helping with that, as well as still feeling nice on your feet.

Shulishuli, other than the above mentioned scratches, I have not had any other boards split/windshake so far.

I also think it's lightened a bit near the windows, to a slightly tawnier shade. Still looks nice to me, but not sure how that will play out on the stained walnuts.

I will try to take pictures.

• carynia
    8 years ago

Thanks janejanel, I was mostly worried the light/dark variation might be way too wild. I don't mind some differences but don't want a floor screaming 'look at me!" Would you say your floors are the former or the latter? In your pics it doesn't seem too wild...when installing did they remove/hide LOTS of light or knotty pieces or just a small amount? Just two of us here so I wasn't too worried about scratches/dents and we even had those with site finished oak but maybe not in such a short period of time. Friends of ours with Mirage Oak had a big rug on their living room floor for 14 years and the floor color has still never changed under the rug, very impressive and sold me on Mirage. I'm surprised you've had color change from the light so soon, did this area get lots of southern exposure sun, and would you say the fading is drastic? How about under rugs, any color change? I assumed their newer finishes would be better than 14 years ago so maybe it's the natural Walnut? Oh please any more info would be so welcome, we're wanting these floors and need to decide in the next day or two but have some reservation, especially as the cost is quite a bit over our original budget! Thanks and any more info and pics of how varied it is, any faded areas, or even the gorgeous parts would be so helpful! Last question...If given the choice would you do it again?

• carynia
    8 years ago

Well with deadlines arriving we've gone ahead and ordered the Mirage Knotty Walnut Savanna floor, hoping it will be gorgeous for a long long time! Trusting Mirage at this point, seems there are so many pros and cons to all product choices that one must take a leap of faith at one point and move forward if anything is to get done. Flooring should be in by end of June, I'll report back then! Thanks for everyone's tips and comments!

• chickeeta
    8 years ago

About to order Mirage Knotty Walnut for our new home. Are you all still satisfied with the product?

• klsanger
    8 years ago

We've been in our new home since Thanksgiving and we love our Mirage Knotty Walnut hardwood flooring. The medium dark Savanna color has just enough variation in color and rustic imperfections to still look elegant yet camouflage any minor nicks that might happen or make a small bit of dust barely noticeable, however dust will show up more on this floor than a lighter one. We have noticed if a few drops of water land on the kitchen floor we need to wipe until dry if we want the mark to vanish and disappear completely and without streaking, possibly needed due to the cashmere low sheen matte finish. It's not been a problem for us and the factory finish seems durable and seems to protect the wood well. No problems with anything else, no splitting or splintering, and so far no apparent fading in our large Great Room which faces East and receives several hours of direct morning light. Mirage is supposed to have some UV protection and our windows are Low E so hopefully we'll not have any issues with fading in the living areas without window coverings! All in all, we're happy with our flooring. I think Mirage currently has a promo going on like a '50 cents off per sq ft', so be sure to ask your local dealer about that. Hope that helps! Here's a pic for you:

• chickeeta
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for the response. LOVE the photo.

• klsanger
    8 years ago

chickeeta - If you get the Mirage Walnut please let us know how you like it! And we're you looking at Natural or with the Savanna stain?

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Mirage is supposed to have some UV protection and our windows are Low E so hopefully we'll not have any issues with fading in the living areas without window coverings!

Note that walnut and cherry both change color over time. UV coating or not. Only if it's covered with a rug will it not change color. It's the nature of the beast.

• klsanger
    8 years ago

Yes you're probably right. However we do have friends with pre-finished Mirage Oak installed in a room that has a set of uncovered south facing French doors with a transom. A large rug covers the main part of the room. If you lift the rug to inspect the floor beneath there is no noticeable difference in color between the exposed floor and the floor under the rug, and this hardwood is fourteen years old! This leads us to hope that both the low E glass and the hardwood's UV protection is helping to reduce the ill effects the sun would normally cause. If we do experience fading, we're hoping the color change will be minimal due to having some protection in place. We'll try to report back if we notice color changes over time. Can anyone else chime in on their experience with UV resistant pre-finished hardwood and fading? And if it happens to be Mirage brand in Walnut please specify, thanks everyone!