Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Raves about laminate?

karyn
10 years ago

I had always heard bad things about laminate so we eliminated it from our flooring search, but today I went into a specialty flooring store (NOT BIG BOX) and they were raving about the virtues of using it as opposed to engineered - which is what we were looking at.

I was kind of floored (pardon the pun). I was expecting the usual up-selling but didn't get it - they were actually reasonable and helpful.

Anyway, are the laminate floors that much better these days - or was the guy blowing smoke? We do have a large dog (golden) so cannot have a soft floor - we also live in FL so it has to be humidity/moisture tolerant. We'll go with a matte or handscraped finish as well to help hide dog marks. I couldn't hardly even mark laminate deliberately with a car key - so that was impressive.

Price is less, but not crazy less, so engineered is still a strong consideration - I did like that laminate had a ton more color choices! We need about 1600 sqft so it's not small purchase - one we hope to get right the first time...

Comments (8)

• Wolfpackmom
    10 years ago

We had laminate installed a year ago. Kitchen, dining room, family room. foyer and hallway and upstairs hallway. We first chose engineered. Two individuals talked us out of it - a good friend that has it (and told us how much it scratched) and the man we were using to install (he is the head carpenter for the school district I work for and does every type of flooring on the side) he said it scratches and digs very easily and depending on the wood can usually only be refinished one time. There was a very small difference in the cost between the two. We went with the laminate - have 3 dogs that run all over our house and it still looks as good today as it did a year ago. We did buy from a flooring store and not a big box company.

• yankeegirl53
    10 years ago

Could you tell me the brand of laminate you purchased and also how is the noise level with the dogs claws running on it. Thanks.

• Wolfpackmom
    10 years ago

I started a reply but not sure what happened to it - hmmm...try again... We purchased Columbia laminate from a flooring store. As with anything else, there are different grades and we did go with a better grade. We keep our floors open (not a lot of rugs/runners), I find it easier to keep up on the dog hair. As far as the noise level from the dogs, I don't really notice it. Our kitchen was ceramic tile before we changed it out and they are always walking in there so I think maybe we were use to the tapping.

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Once I found that laminate hurts resale value in higher end homes, and crumbles under the weight of grand piano legs, we removed it from consideration.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

... "and crumbles under the weight of grand piano legs,"...

Don't assume that any other 'floating' product will be immune from damage by the Grand Piano.

• Wolfpackmom
    10 years ago

Karyn - I think what you really need to be looking into is solid hardwood - in "higher end homes" the buyer is going to expect solid hardwood.

• yankeegirl53
    10 years ago

Thank for your reply wolfpackmom.

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all -

Yes, we are going with hardwood now, but in our humid climate (FL) solid hardwood is a big no-no due to humidity and moisture, so engineered hardwood is the way to go.

Additionally, the PSI ratings of all the engineered floors we've seen are well within the parameters to be able to handle a grand piano on the proper floor cups. We haven't even decided if the piano will go on the wood floor - or in a carpeted area, but allowing us the option to choose is great.

Float vs glue down - there seem to be positives and negatives for both - but either one can be done in our place.