Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allergy friendly bedroom flooring suggestions?

Posted by seekingsun (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 17:13

We just purchased a new/old house (Woohoo!) and the flooring in the entire 2400 sq ft house needs to be replaced (currently old, stinky, icky pile carpet). My daughter and I both have dust mite allergies. I feel like that puts carpet out of the running, especially in a bedroom. Laminate or bamboo product then? (we are on a slab)

Since we have a lot to replace in this fixer upper I think $4 and under is a good price point. Considering the bedrooms take less abuse (we take off our shoes in the house) perhaps a less expensive product would be OK also? Save a little of the budget for high traffic, more visible areas. We don't think it has moisture issues in the slab but will find out as we tear up carpet...

Any experiences or recommendations welcome! I am a little overwhelmed by everything we need to tackle in this house and need some guidance on this decision!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allergy friendly bedroom flooring suggestions?

I just purchased a home with carpet in the bedrooms and upper hall. I am throwing it all out and have decided to go with cork flooring. It is not the cheapest option however I believe it is a great product. If you do a little research you will appreciate the benifits of a cork floor.it also comes in click style so no glueing and relatively easy to install. Laminate would be your cheapest option. I would avoid bamboo .there are lots of horror stories about bamboo . Please research thoroughly if you are leaning toward bamboo.

o

My inlaws now have cork in their kitchen and upper bedroom floor. And love it! I think he just paid $8 a sq foot from an online vendor...

I realized I should also be concerned with any product that is know to "off gas". Those type of chemicals tend to be hard on folks with allergies, and I don't want anything like that in my baby's room!

o

If you are concerned with off gas, look at the floor score of any laminate. Lots of laminate off gases.

Low VOC floors are a concern for me and that is why I am leaning very strongly toward wood-look sheet vinyl. Sounds tacky, but it looks quite good in some pics here on the forum. I'm looking at Armstrong sheet vinyl and Congoleum. Possibly vinyl planks.

If I could find hardwood without a toxic finish that didn't cost $$$$$ I would go that route, but no luck. I want to stay at $4 or less a square foot.

I've been using this database to check for low voc floors:

Here is a link that might be useful: Certified green products

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here