Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xlulu_gw

Floor board cupping on the second floor

xlulu
10 years ago

I am in need of some advice from the forum. We moved into a house and ripped out the carpet on the second floor and installed red oak floors last July. After the boards are installed, everything looked good, but I did start to notice the edges are curling up on most of the floor maybe a month after the installation or maybe longer (I can't remember). By Christmas, I noticed that some movement in the board in one of the bedroom. And my feet was catching on some of the edge of the boards. I just thought the boards needed to be nailed down. I called the original installer who told me that all the boards are cupping. He feels that it might be a humidity problem or a leak some where on the subflooring.

We live in Georgia but have been using the A/C fairly often. The house does not feel particularly humid. The worse cupping seems to be around the master bathroom door (which does not have a window and is probably the most humid room in the house). However, all of the flooring are cupped on the second floor. I can't help but suspect that the installation or material was some how flawed.

My questions are how to go about with the investigation of the cause. Who should I call to get this inspected for a slow leak? And is it worthwhile to pull up some of the boards to check for a leak? Should I get a dehumidifier for the master bathroom? Should I get a second opinion from another floor person?

I am very upset because we spent a great deal of money on the flooring less than 1 year ago. And we are looking at potentially redoing the floor again. The installer believes that it is not the wood that is the problem and want to charge me again for the correction. I guess this is the best case scenerio. The worse case is if there is a leak somewhere in the pipes on the second floor.

Thanks for your help and tips!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH