Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allure vinyl planks on stairs?

Posted by mlraff53 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 16:29

We had some water damage upstairs (toilet) and had pull up the carpet in bath and hallway. We are replacing it with Allure vinyl planks. I'm also going to pull the carpet on the stairs. I peeked underneath and it's not one solid tread (it's two pieces). Two planks on each tread.
So my idea of refinishing them is not going to happen.
Could I put the vinyl on the stairs? Has anybody done this? I assume I would need some type of trim at the edge of the tread right? Any ideas?

Any ideas other than the vinyl. A thin piece of wood to cover existing tread? Veneer?
I have to do this with as little money as possible.
So new treads is not going to work.

Thanks for any help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allure vinyl planks on stairs?

I have the exact same question, so am hoping someone will answer.

o

I would not use vinyl planks on stairs. The trim at the edge would be soooooo easy for people to trip on. If you can't go to a solid tread, I would opt for recarpeting the stairs and move on.

At least with carpet, if someone trips or slips, they have a softer landing.

my two cents! good luck with your project :)

o

Thanks for your opinion, sippimom. You agree with my husband, who thinks carpet is the only answer. My question is, would it look kind of funny if only the stairs have carpet? Has anyone ever done this? Thanks for any input!

o

I think you could paint them, at least for a short term solution. If you went with the allure you would probably have to use a metal nose piece which could be very busy. I think you could use a wood filler for the gap between the planks and painting it with a dark paint would do a lot to make it less obvious that it is actually two planks.

Here is a link that might be useful: My painted stairs

o

Daisyadair, your stairs are LOVELY! Great job and kudos to you and your hubby for a job well done!! Looks like you had folks from "This Old House" in to do the work! ;)

Being one who likes these DIY projects, maybe it wouldn't be that hard to replace those 2 piece treads with inexpensive pine treads, which could then be painted. It might even be less expensive than carpeting. Remember, the cost of carpeting is directly tied to the cost of oil because its a petroleum product. So you get what you pay for. And cheap carpeting on stairs won't last long at all.

Painted stairs would still be safer than trying to use vinyl with metal edges.

Again, good luck!

o

I'm wanting to use the allure on my steps as well, I'm just wondering if you did it and how it worked out?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here