Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What wood best for humidity fluctuations?

Posted by momo7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 16:27

We're building a new house but we won't have air conditioning so in the summer it will be humid and in the winter a lot dryer.

My builder has suggested using 2-1/4" wide flooring in order to minimize cupping but I was wondering if any type of wood might be better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What wood best for humidity fluctuations?

I would consider some dimensional stable wood species,such as Burmese teak, domestic Walnut, Santos Mahogany, etc. Staying in 2-1/4" boards helps. I don't think the 3" will perform much difference with the more stable wood. Quality engineered wood floorings should be considered if stability is the main concern.

o

Quarter sawn wood move in thickness mostly.

o

Thank you UniqueWoodFloor and brickeyee, we're going to pick out flooring tomorrow, hopefully, so we'll bring these suggestions with us and see what they have - and what we can afford.

o

Quarter sawn hardwood will expand and contract approx 1/2 as much as flat sawn wood. You will have to ask a dealer but most won't know what you are talking about. LL for sure! I would suggest purchasing Charles Peterson's book Wood Flooring by Charles Peterson I obtained it at amazon.com. about $30 you will get it in a few days. Most important thing is proper moisture content of wood and subfloor if not you can have real problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here