Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these prices fair? Hardwood floors install/finish/refinish

Posted by bellajourney (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 15:09

Hi everyone!

It looks like my DH (who has a full time job) has Finally given up his idea of working on the hardwood floors himself. (We bought our fixer upper home over a year ago and still haven't moved in.)

It's time for us to hire someone to get the job done!

Here are the stats:

1st Floor: about 1,000 sq ft
* subfloor is already down (just needs a few anchor nails as extra security to regular nails already in)
* rooms are basically empty
* baseboard covers are removed
* baseboard molding is removed
* we already bought the unfinished red oak flooring, 3.25", #2 grade
* contractor will: put in anchor nails, lay rosin paper, install wood floors, sand and apply 1 coat of clear finish (with Rubio Monocoat - a 1 coat product)

2nd Floor: about 1,000 sq ft
* has old 2.25" red oak floors already installed - they are in pretty rough shape
* rooms are basically empty
* baseboard covers are removed
* baseboard molding is removed
* contractor will: replace a few bad boards, sand, and apply 1 coat of clear finish (with Rubio Monocoat - a 1 coat product)

Stairs: one flight with one landing
* stairs are old hardwood in worn condition
* contractor will replace the 2.25" boards on landing with new 3.25" boards, sand, and apply 1 coat of clear finish (with Rubio Monocoat - a 1 coat product)

These are the prices we received so far (that do NOT include the cost of the oil finish, or the rosin paper):

1) Quote A: $5,800 (down from $6,500 initial offer)
2) Quote B: $5,500 (down from $6,100 initial offer)

Are these fair prices? I'm not sure if the pricing should include the cost of the finish and underlayment as well. The oil finish is costing us $600 and I think the rosin paper was only about $65 or so. Also, since our oil finish requires only 1 coat instead of the usual 2 or 3, I'm wondering if we should get a discount for that.

Thank you!! We are getting at least one more quote and would like to make a decision this weekend. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these prices fair? Hardwood floors install/finish/refini

Sounds fair to me. My parents had their floors refinished 20 years ago, stripped and re-coated and it was 2,000. But like the above mentioned, make sure they are reputable .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here