Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellajourney

Are these prices fair? Hardwood floors install/finish/refinish

bellajourney
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

It looks like my DH (who has a full time job) has Finally given up his idea of working on the hardwood floors himself. (We bought our fixer upper home over a year ago and still haven't moved in.)

It's time for us to hire someone to get the job done!

Here are the stats:

1st Floor: about 1,000 sq ft

* subfloor is already down (just needs a few anchor nails as extra security to regular nails already in)

* rooms are basically empty

* baseboard covers are removed

* baseboard molding is removed

* we already bought the unfinished red oak flooring, 3.25", #2 grade

* contractor will: put in anchor nails, lay rosin paper, install wood floors, sand and apply 1 coat of clear finish (with Rubio Monocoat - a 1 coat product)

2nd Floor: about 1,000 sq ft

* has old 2.25" red oak floors already installed - they are in pretty rough shape

* rooms are basically empty

* baseboard covers are removed

* baseboard molding is removed

* contractor will: replace a few bad boards, sand, and apply 1 coat of clear finish (with Rubio Monocoat - a 1 coat product)

Stairs: one flight with one landing

* stairs are old hardwood in worn condition

* contractor will replace the 2.25" boards on landing with new 3.25" boards, sand, and apply 1 coat of clear finish (with Rubio Monocoat - a 1 coat product)

These are the prices we received so far (that do NOT include the cost of the oil finish, or the rosin paper):

1) Quote A: $5,800 (down from $6,500 initial offer)

2) Quote B: $5,500 (down from $6,100 initial offer)

Are these fair prices? I'm not sure if the pricing should include the cost of the finish and underlayment as well. The oil finish is costing us $600 and I think the rosin paper was only about $65 or so. Also, since our oil finish requires only 1 coat instead of the usual 2 or 3, I'm wondering if we should get a discount for that.

Thank you!! We are getting at least one more quote and would like to make a decision this weekend. :)

Comment (1)