Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alaskanshamrock

Anyone Have AMENDOIM Hardwood?

alaskanshamrock
13 years ago

I have been going back and forth on what type of hardwood flooring to use. I am now thinking of a light colored flooring and Amendoim is starting to grow on me.

If you have this flooring or know of anyone who does and can give me some feedback, I would appreciate it.

Comments (86)

• bosdiyer
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your troubles with BR-111. We bought ours from Brazilian Direct (brazilianhardwood.com) and couldn't have been happier. I installed nearly 1,200 square feet and I don't think I had 10 bad boards in the lot. The only downside to such excellent quality control is that I now have 5 unopened boxes of 3 1/4 inch solid (3/4") Amendoim sitting here.
    That's 100sq ft - so if anybody live in the eastern MA area and wants to make a deal, let me know.
    Still finishing up the project, but this will show you the look of the flooring.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

bosdiyer, your floors are beautiful! I have not had any success with BR-lll direct. Thank you for letting us know that your floors are from Brazilian Direct! I love the 3.25" wide boards which are a classic! I need engineered due to living on a slab but to me solid is usually the prettiest and nicest.

• Moz Tn
    9 years ago

Hi Bosdiyer, I would have been very interested in your remaining planks, but I want engineered for floating install. The floor looks awesome. Do you have any more pics? I don't think Brazilian direct does engineered though. Did you do nail down install? yourself?

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

From the Brazilian Direct Site: It looks like tnker is right that they do not sell engineered Amendoim. I know Triangulo sells the engineered version in both the 3.25" and the 5" and now they are selling to stores and no longer to BR-111 which has changed its name to BR-111 Direct and is now considered a different company with the change in the name and the fact that they are not using the suppliers they used to use so their product is not the same as I found out from trying to order from them.

Solid Exotic Flooring

Amendoim (Ybyario)

Bolivian Rosewood (Tiete)

Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba)

Brazilian Teak (Cumaru)

Brazilian Walnut (Ipe)

Guajara (Mobai)

Patagonian Rosewood (Curupay)

Santos Mahogany (Cabriuva)

Tiete Chestnut (Sucupira)

Tigerwood (Brazilian Koa)

Request a Sample

---------------------------------------------------

Engineered Flooring

Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba)

Santos Mahogany (Cabriuva)

Tigerwood (Brazilian Koa)

Caribbean Heart Pine

• Moz Tn
    9 years ago

I am going to look at triangulo from IP floors. I need to find if they use formaldehyde and the VOC content in their finishes. If anyone has done that research and knows, I would greatly appreaciate the information.
    Mannington floors have amendoim in their exotic floors line. They claim to be formaldehyde free and 0 VOC. So I might go with that, but it does not look as good as some of the photos I am seeing here (of triangulo and what bosdiy has which is different from triangulo)

• bosdiyer
    9 years ago

Hi tnkrer
    Yup. Bought the special Powernailer for 18 gauge L cleats and put in 1,200 square feet. The flooring was nice to work with, but to get nice results you need to rack 3-4 boxes at a time for the best color, grain pattern, and length mix. I'm waiting for my moldings to come in and then I'll post like crazy. This was part of a 1 year plus project to redo the first floor of the house including a new kitchen. I think my wife has a divorce attorney on speed dial but we've gotten through it :)
    BosDIYer

• Moz Tn
    9 years ago

Thanks bosDIYer. I am being tempted to buy the tools and do it myself :) Wish you had 200 sf though. Then I could try it in my small room and if I like it splurge to do other rooms

• winnie_chan000
    8 years ago

I just installed my Industparquet Amendoim engineer floor. Is it normal there are some dark knot on the floor? Did I get fake product? The sales guy told me the wood spieces is like that. Thanks.

• PRO
    Uptown Floors
    8 years ago

From what I can see your Amendoim floor is typical, though a few boards do shout back at you. They could have been better used elsewhere in less noticeable areas. If you're comparing to the above photos from Brazilian Direct, there's a reason for the difference as they deal almost exclusively with clear graded hardwoods. I'm not sure what Indusparquet uses, but there is definitely more variation, also seen on their website. Smallish pin knots are unique to Amendoim.

Ken Fisher

• Karen Eagle
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Winnie, I had my Amendoim engineered floor installed in 2009. I remember there were 2 grades of flooring. I went with the thicker floor. And yes, it does have some dark knots. I don't find them very noticeable. I know from experience that sometimes when something is newly installed, you look it over so closely that you find any imperfections, real or not. No one else will notice and once you live with it, you won't notice them either. Unless of course it is a flaw in the product.

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here is solid 4" Amendoim floor picture we installed a few years ago. It did not show as much variation as on winnie_chan000 pictures.

Prefinished 4" Amendoim Hardwood Floor

• PRO
    Uptown Floors
    8 years ago

I'd kick that installers arse with a mallet ready to be kicked across the floor.

Ken Fisher

• webking185
    6 years ago

Indusparquet Amendoim 4" x 0.75", IPFAMME4. Beautiful product just installed in June 2017.

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    6 years ago

@webking185, thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. Amendiom has been one of our favorite floors.

• annclark
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We had our Amendoim floors installed a few years ago and just love them. They do darken a bit with age (especially with the sunlight), so for the first two years, we just took our area rugs up for the summer to let the wood underneath darken to the same darkness as the rest of the floor. After the first couple of years, it develops to its darkest shade, it seems. It's no longer an issue.

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    6 years ago

@annclark, thanks for sharing your cured Amendiom floor pictures. It looks awesome. Is that 3" board you have?

• annclark
    6 years ago

They are 2 1/2" inches wide.

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    6 years ago

Thank you. Annclark. It is not common now, but quite beautiful still.

• annclark
    6 years ago

Thank you, Unique Wood Floors. We do love them...and what an improvement over carpet! I just wish we would have put the wood floors in our bedrooms.

• Jason Beatty
    6 years ago

@annclark, can I ask where you ended up purchasing your floors? it looks great. thanks!

• Patricia Hay
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am very frustrated with our Amendoim flooring. It was so beautiful when first put down and it still is in places where the color change is not noticeable.

Here is my story: I have several oriental rugs that I couldn't use with my wall to wall carpeting, so we finally got wood floors The rugs looked fabulous with my new Amendoim flooring and I was very happy. The floors had been in for about 5 months when I decided to relocate a rug. To my surprise and horror, I saw that there was a HUGE difference in the floor color beneath the rug! The flooring not covered by the rug had darkened so that you could easily tell where the rug had been- a light 4x6 square right there in the middle of the room. I checked rugs in different rooms- same thing (except in the dark hallway). I was told to take up the rugs and let it all equilibrate. After 3 months I see no difference- and my floors look terrible with all those demarcation lines, and I can't use my beloved rugs. To make matters worse, the light pieces don't seem to darken, as much as the dark pieces, leaving what looks like a patchwork quilt on the floor. A few of the large rugs cannot be taken up, so when we try to sell the house, and our stuff is out,...well, I hate to think what it will look like and what the buyer is going to do to us.

Also the floor is so soft, you can look at it wrong and it dings- there are even places where the wood has shattered!! We are just two empty-nesters who wear slippers in the house and a cat, so I have no idea where all the dings are coming from.

I am wondering if we got a defective batch from Industparquet. I read Info about this flooring which said it darkens "over time", but 5 months is not what I think "over time" means. Has anyone else had this problem with this beautiful flooring?

• annclark
    6 years ago

Jason Beatty, we purchased our amendoim locally at a Fargo, North Dakota store. It is no longer in business, unfortunately.

• annclark
    6 years ago

Patricia Hay, I'm sorry you are having trouble with your amendoim floor. I mentioned in an earlier post that the amendoim wood does darken with age and especially with the sunlight. We were instructed by our installer to remove our area rugs in the summer for the first few years to allow the wood underneath to darken. After the first couple of years, we were good. The floor is now all one shade. Try to leave all of your rugs off the floor for a longer period of time to see of the light spots darken.

As far as the wood being soft, I have a lot of dings, too, especially in the kitchen. The first few dings really freaked me out and it still makes me crazy when I see a new one. We are empty nesters, too, but the hubby isn't as careful as he should be sometimes. Ugh!

• Louise Giordano
    5 years ago

We've just had engineered Amendoim flooring installed in our condo. It is quite beautiful, with not an overabundance of variation. It actually terrifies me, so could you all please give me tips on cleaning it? I have it in all areas (including kitchen) except for the bedrooms and baths. Any advice?

• Karen Eagle
    5 years ago

I clean mine with Bona and a microfiber cloth

• Patricia Hay
    5 years ago

I use Bona, also, with the mop thingy they sell for it. Just be careful about rugs.

Update: the lines on my floor are almost gone in the kitchen, but not in another room that gets less sun. I hesitate to put down the kitchen rugs again- we have skylights and a big south-facing window. This means, since I am a messy cook, I have to sweep and mop the kitchen floor every day-what a pain!! But I do get compliments from everyone who comes into the house about how beautiful the floors are, even in their darker state.

• danielle carlucci
    5 years ago

I just purchased this product for a master bedroom. The rest of my house has a nice burnished rich warm tone. Similar to some of the above pictures.....

The new stuff, is a lighter variation.....I am really hoping it darkens, as i do not like the lightness of it at all. My guy who i ordered it from, said it will oxidize.....

• Janice Stuckey
    5 years ago

We bought our Amendoim from Brazilian Direct. They are stunning. We have about 3,000 sq ft. 5" solid 3/4" thick boards. They are out of this world!!

• bonnieinmarco
    4 years ago

We put Amendoim in our condo and loved it so much (3400 sf) that we put it in our weekend getaway house. used solid wood in condo and engineered in the house. It seems to me that the solid wood is sturdier as far as dings. But still love it. Almost everyone that comes in to either property want to know what the wood is.

• bonnieinmarco
    4 years ago

Ann Clark, were you married to Michael?

• Ann Clark
    4 years ago

bonnieinmarco, Nope--never been married to a Michael.

• kmcmack
    4 years ago

Bonnieinmarco, wondering where you purchased your engineered amendoim. We’re having trouble finding 3/8” x 3-3/4” to match the flooring we installed in 2013. Thanks.

• winnie_chan000
    4 years ago

After 3 yrs of installation, I love my floor color. It got a a little darker, more natural and warmer color tone.

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    4 years ago

@ kmcmack Triangulo has 3/8" x 3-1/4" as a going line. What brand is yours?

• Steve Voorhees
    4 years ago

@winnie_chan000 Hi Winnie, my wife and I are considering IndusParquet 5" engineered Amendoin or Cumaru. One of the concerns we have is what the Amendoim will look like a few years down the road.

If you don't mind, would you be willing to post some pictures of your flooring?

• winnie_chan000
    4 years ago

Hi Steve,

I love the color as it darkened. I have engineered. But I feel it’s easy to get dent. However, it’s not very noticeable because of the color variation.

• winnie_chan000
    4 years ago

Another one

• Steve Voorhees
    4 years ago

@winnie_chan000 Thank you so much for posting those photos! Those floors look beautiful and so much more character that what was in the samples. My wife and I have a tough choice ahead! :-)

• claven123
    4 years ago

Can I still find this product anyplace? I'm looking for an odd size 2 5/8 by 7/16 or similar. I can't seem to locate anyone who has this product. Obviously, I can do it with close dimensions. I looked at Brazilian direct, but they want a 500sqft minimum.

• Bill Miller
    3 years ago

The coloring is great and blends with many woods, but I would avoid Indusparquet manufactured flooring due to delamination issues that we have had under ideal conditions and installation!

• bonnieinmarco
    3 years ago

We have 2 houses with amendoim and love it. Ours is engineered.

• Bill Miller
    3 years ago

What brand did you install?

• HU-138469578
    7 months ago

@BillMiller what do you mean by delamination issues? We are considering the amendoim for our house and Indusparquet is the company the store has.

Also, for anyone else, is solid wood sturdier than the engineered?

Thank you

• lori loughlin
    2 months ago

Why do the 2 pics above look totally different?

• Bill Miller
    2 months ago

The color starts to vary greatly over time!!

• lori loughlin
    2 months ago

Oh no! I can’t have that! Any other suggestions?

• lori loughlin
    2 months ago

Can I get thoughts on this flooring?

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    2 months ago

I wouldn't make my decision based on winnie_chan000's bedroom pic. It looks like a wood floor with heavy character which Amendoim isn't.

• CJ
    last month

Did you end up using the high desert hickory? I love it! I’d love to see pictures.