Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alida_gw

Anyone want to help with tille? I'm overwhelmed...

alida_gw
16 years ago

First a confession. I'm 47 years old and I've never had to choose tile before. I thought I would be so easy. HAH! It was easier to pick names for my children. And the most pathetic part is that we're not talking about a 500 square foot master bathroom with sufaces galore. I'm am absolutely paralyzed with indecision over a 4x6 powder room. I will take any and all help offered with deep appreciation!

So my little powder room needs a new floor. The house is a 30 year old colonial in coastal New England. The pedominant flooring in the rest of the house is a medium stained oak. I have two kids and two dogs, so I would like a floor that is a.)appropriate to the style of the house, b.) able to withstand the rigors of my family and c.) isn't too much maintenance.

I am leaning toward a porcelain tile that mimics slate or other natual stone in a medium to darkish gray color. I have actually seen a seen some from Dal Tile, American Olean, and a couple of others that I like. BUT...how do you decided on a tile size and pattern? I think I'd like something that is different from the standard square layout. Any suggestions? Are there patterns that would be more suitable? I love the look over bigger tiles...but are they too modern? What size grout lines?

I used to think "oh for pete's sake, it's only tile!" Now I know better.

Thanks in advance,

Alida

Comments (6)