Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need suggestions for this old floor

Posted by carol0512 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 14:07

1886 random width pine floor. paint spills, plain old age, neglect, residue from rubber backed rugs, etc. wall to wall not option, need suggestions - floor is both living room and dining room 15 feet wide by 26 length. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need suggestions for this old floor

Hire a qualified professional floor finisher to refinish the flooring. It is old growth and ought to clean up very well.

o

It will have a beautiful creamy - brown aged color that I personally love. Old character will show in what I call bruising where heavy objects where drug across the floor sometime in the past.

o

Perfect candidate for scraping and waterlox instead of sanding and polyurethane.
Casey

o

On second look I see the random width boards. Nice floor. Waterlox is an option for you and it will give you good color. The lightest result can be achieved with a commercial quality two-part waterborne (non-yellowing) wood floor polyurethane.

I agree with the bruising comment. Whether you sand or had scrape, expect some of this bruising damage to remain visible. Doesn't necessarily make the floor look bad...it's just the nature of the beast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here