Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Bathroom Subfloor

Posted by tdorsi (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 13:28

Hi there,

My question is How do I patch my Old Subfloor.

My wife and I recently found that we had leak in our tub/Shower. This had been going on for a while and we did not realiz it as the water was collecting under the tub. I removed the tub and found that the first layer of sub floor was damp and started to rot in one corner. I removed this and found that the next layer was much worse. The Sub floor was 3/4" toung and groove Pine. and the 2nd layer looks like Oak. I will be replacing with OSB.

I have completely removed the top layer of subfloor and I've removed the rotted wood down to the floor Joists and now and now need to replace.

The section of floor that has been removed to Joist is 39"L X 78" W

The Joists Run Parralel with the Width (going the direction of the the 78" side). I have always been told that when you lay flooring you should put the short side Perpendicular to the direction the Joist run. That is opposit of the situation I have.

For the Patch first layer should I cut the Board in two even 39x39 pieces? Or should lay as a whole piece. The second layer of Subfloor will Measure 84"L x 79" W

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Bathroom Subfloor

The "perpendicular" rule applies to hardwood floors: they should run perpendicular to the underlying joists. For subfloor, I'd use a single piece for the patch. Then attach the 2nd layer staggering the joints so they don't match the joints on the 1st layer.

o
RE: Replacing Bathroom Subfloor

Thanks Weedyacres! We got the new subfloor in over the weekend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here