Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to tell what kind of oak floors?

Posted by joposie8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 13:24

My last post asked about having two different kind of wood floors - I've ruled that out. Now I'm looking into whether I could match the original wood floors I have in LR and DR by - installing new oak in kitchen and sun room (currently tile) and restaining the entire main floor (which is largely open flowing one room to next) to have a more uniform look.

The current wood floors are original from 1922. I have oak on the main floor - is there a way to tell if its white or red oak? Would this matter if it was all restained?

I realize there will be differences in wear, grain etc. The original floors have there share of imperfections but we can't do the whole floor now and want to keep as much original as possible anyway.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to tell what kind of oak floors?

Yes there is a way to tell. Explaining it over the internet probably will get confusing. If you can snap a pic and email me (gregmills84@gmail.com) i will tell you.

If you sand everything down and have different oak species but you stain them dark. It will not be real appearant that they are difference. The bigger difference that will be noticable will be the new floor vs old flooor.

But thats not a big deal.

o

I agree with Greg. The oak that was harvested in 1922 will be different than what you can buy now, but with sanding it all and re-staining it should be not very obvious.
Good Luck!

o

Joposie -

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/distinguishing-red-oak-from-white-oak/

It's not difficult after you have seen a few pictures. Especially the picture showing the difference in the length of the "rays".

Here is a link that might be useful: Telling white oak from red oak

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here