Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does santos Mahogany change color quite much if exposed to sun?

Posted by janesylvia (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 13:08

I have 6 patio doors in the house. I saw a Brazilian santos mahogany flooring beautiful and it has 11 coating . The owner said the color change would not be very obvious, unlike the Brazilian chery. But the salesman at another store said santos mahogany is quite photosensitive.

My house has a lot of natural lighting. I don't know if santos mahagonay is appropriate for my house and if it is very photosensitive.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does santos Mahogany change color quite much if exposed to su

Any and all wood will change with sun exposure. Its just a matter of the finish thats applied and the amount of sunlight exposure.

Santos will change, enough for you to realize? Probably. Best thing to do is just draw the curtains during peak sunlight time.

o
RE: Does santos Mahogany change color quite much if exposed to su

I have had Santos Mahogany floors in my entry and living room for about eight years. It will darken and become a deeper shade of red over time. Still looks good.

o
RE: Does Santos Mahogany change color quite much if exposed to su

I am enclosing a post I started regarding Santos Mahogany. It seems that Santos Mahogany starts off darker so the color change is not as dramatic as Brazilian Cherry that starts off much lighter. They both end up being closer in darkness with Santos having more red and Brazilian Cherry having more orange mixed with the Mahogany. I have Brazilian Cherry right now (but damaged from water) that I wish had less brown boards and more lighter boards mixed with more reddish boards. I still love the exotic woods and I am thinking of doing it again. I love Santos Mahogany also but it is a little more expensive. Maybe others will post pictures that have Santos Mahogany. Wish someone would have before sun darkening and after sun darkening pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post regarding Santos Mahogany

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here