Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help matching hardwood floor finishes

Posted by campfiregal61 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 13:05

Hi
My husband and I are doing some kitchen remodel. We tore out a breakfast bar that has been there since before we had red oak hardwood floors sanded and refinished 2 years ago. So we are in the process of fixing the missing floor. We have the wood and the stain that was used but we are pretty sure a Swedish finished was used. Is this out only option? We would prefer to use something a little more DIY friendly and not as toxic. I know the sheen was satin. Can anyone suggest some sealer-finishes that might work. We realize due to the 2 year time the stain might not match perfectly but can I use another finish and come close to matching the Swedish finish on the rest of the floor? Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help matching hardwood floor finishes

After patching and then sanding the stain will be just a little off. But as far as the finishes go if it was an oil based use that if water use that. But a tip would be to buff n coat everything which will help blend the repair to the rest of the floor

o

Thanks for the help. I am pretty sure it was oil based finish since it was
The toxic Swedish finish. (Is there one that is water based?)
We realize the best thing would be to blend it in by doing the entire area but it is our kitchen and the floors runs throughout three rooms with no ends. So we will just have to sand and stain that area. See pic

o

Swedish finish is generally how one refers to an acid curing finish. Oil poly is generally how one refers to oil-modified polyurethane.
The difference between the two is significant. Acid curing finish smells much worse and is harder to use. The main VOC component in oil-modified polyurethane is mineral spirits, which is not particularly toxic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit) but it does smell and dries slowly.

Ideally you could find the person who did the work and pay him to finish the patch, but even then, a perfect outcome isn't going to happen.
If you're going to DIY, you're probably better off using oil poly. Water-borne urethanes are readily available and have lower odor and toxicity but will be less likely to duplicate the look of the existing finish and good ones cost more that the oil poly.

o

If you get the color right, and get close to the sheen, very few people will notice it.

Especially if you put some furniture in that area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here