Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bruce Dundee Plank? Appalachian Red Oak? Maine Traditions? Help!

Posted by miss_darcy (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 12:49

So, we selected Maine Traditions Red Birch. We loved it. The designer loved it. The flooring installer saw our dog and shrieked, "Don't do it!"

We are looking at Bruce Dundee Plank because a friend has it (but no pets). However, all of the poor Bruce reviews make me nervous.

We also have a sample of Appalachian Red Oak (Canadian) that looks very similar. Priced maybe $1.00 higher than Bruce.

The lumber place also recommends Maine Traditions and Somerset.

Any advice and/or photos would be extremely appreciated. The dog is pretty small---maybe 25 pounds---but he does love to chase after the cat. Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bruce Dundee Plank? Appalachian Red Oak? Maine Traditions? H

I worked for Bruce for many yrs. While I can't recall each style the finish is very durable on the factory finished flooring. The problem is if the graining is very clear, like in a maple- it will magnify each little scratch and scuff. If the grain has a bit of character like a rustic oak, you will hardly see any scratches. The good news is if you do pick a product and the scratches bother you its easy to recoat without resanding the floors and some people change to a matte finish if the original had a gloss finish. You can also buy 'booties' for the dog or nail guards.

o
RE: Bruce Dundee Plank? Appalachian Red Oak? Maine Traditions? H

Thanks---that helps a lot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here