Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What wood is this? Will it finish ok with tung oil?

Posted by mystryda (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 12:48

Hi,

This wood floor was under several layers of vinyl. House was built around 1945. What wood is it? I'm guessing pine, but don't really know.

Would minor sanding take care of the water damage? Could I finish with tung oil or waterlox?

https://picasaweb.google.com/steve.maksim/331_Maple_kitchen_floor?authkey=Gv1sRgCIKwyfqp1OWGTg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What wood is this? Will it finish ok with tung oil?

Hard pine is reasonable for the species. You will not know if sanding will take out the water staining until you try it. Often floors that have been covered need some repair work - boards replaced. I have seen both pure tung oil and waterlox used succesfully on hard pine.

o

It looks like longleaf pine.
My 1906 kitchen floor is similar. I had to patch it by taking up 1/3 of it and relaying it to fill in a former stair location, and remove water damage. Fortunately I had stashed away some very similar material from a previous jobsite.
I refinished it with 4 coats of Waterlox.
4th coat waterlox, and the beadboard wall, and tile.
Casey

o

It's heart pine or fir. I think fir. It will look great when finished.

o

Could also be yellow pine. In any case it was put down as a subfloor base for linoleum etc. The water damage will probably not come out with sanding. Very often there is permanent discoloration where two pieces of the top covering came together caused by moisture seepage over the years.

o

Nice picture, love Waterlox myself!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here