Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwood installation question

Posted by pieng4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 12:13

Is there a limit on how far you should run hardwood flooring without a transition? Example, from from to back of our house it's 35ft (two bedrooms and a hallway in between). Do I need to install a transition between the rooms and the hallway or can I run the boards the entire 35 ft? Someone told me you should not run hardwood flooring more than 30 ft without a transition to allow for expansion/contraction. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwood installation question

For nail down wood flooring, an installer needs to provide for expansion in the width...not so much for length, although it is good practice not to fit net to any vertical surface.

o

Solid strip hardwood flooring has less than 0.2% movement parallel to the grain.

Every joint between the strips opens and closes as the wood shrinks and swells with moisture content.

Only one side of each strip is actually nailed, allowing each piece to move separately.

Non 'tongue and groove' wood that is face nailed can be a problem.
The wood can split at the nails since it cannot move.

'Engineered' wood flooring is often installed so it moves as a single large pieces of wood in every direction (especially if it has cross ply type construction).

Clearance must be provided in both directions, and for a large are can quickly mount up to inches of movement.

o

Good advice above additionlly for areas wider than 20 feet it is recommended that you start in the middle of the room and face the two boards groove to groove joined by a spline which will limit the expansion and shrinkage with areas wider than 20'. As stated above there is not enough expansion in the length to really worry about 'BUT guidelines state we will leave a 3/4" gap for 3/4" thick hardwood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here