Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is a wide interior door saddle/threshold appropriate?

Posted by cyndo (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 11:35

We need to install a threshold in the doorway to our bedroom to cover an interuption in the floating floors that we are installing. I think I would prefer a wide and flat threshold that is as deep as the entire door jamb and stop to cover the expansion joints rather than using T-moulding. Is this done and would it look okay? We are going for an old house look and none of the thresholds I've seen look quite right, so maybe we'll make our own. Is this a bad idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is a wide interior door saddle/threshold appropriate?

A wide threshold will look fine. The only decision is whether to use a beveled oak or a "hollywood" marble threshold. The latter has a double bevel and transitions equally from both directions....AKA a "Handicapped" threshold.

o

Regardless of what saddle you choose there should still be an expansion gap left between the floating floor and the saddle. How are you going to cover that space without a transition trim? Use a square edge reducer (end cap) that would butt up to the saddle while still leaving the expansion underneath.

o

Thanks for the suggestions,Lazarus and Jerry. I was able to see some old houses this weekend and I think I'll be okay with the standard beveled 4" threshold with a section of wood underneath, which basically would function like a super wide T-moulding. It looks a little lopsided being centered under the door itself but apparently that's how it's done and has been done for a long time. Now that I've seen it I think it looks reasonably acceptable.

But I also like the idea of using an appropriate board that is the width of the door frame with the reducer trim for the expansion areas on either side of the saddle. That would satisfy my desire for symmetry relative to the door frame. Luckily, I have a little bit of time to think about both of these ideas. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here