Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arkansaswifey

Duraceramic vs. ceramic tile?

arkansaswifey
17 years ago

Currently, I have vinyl sheeting in my kitchen and laundry room. We are doing a remodel and want to change the flooring. I generally like the vinyl that we have - it's easy on your feet, easy to maintain, and durable. I've read about the vinyl tile Duraceramic and I'm very interested in it. But, the saleslady at the flooring store practically laughed at me for wanting vinyl. I ended up with some ceramic tile samples, but I'm not totally convinced that this is what I want.

If you have duraceramic, how do you like it and have you had ceramic tile before? Please post pictures of your duraceramic tile.

Thanks!

Comments (63)

• shonshon1b
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My husband and I have decided to go with a DuraCeramic floor without grout, simply because we like the floors of a lot of places we visited in Italy that didn't have grout. I have two boys and to us, DuraCeramic is a step up because the original floor the builder put in our house was a sheet vinyl floor. My question is, "Can DuraCeramic be laid on top of the vinyl floor?"

• glad
    16 years ago

shonshon1b- i was just at a flooring store today. cork is the only material the manager said he would put rightover the vinyl floor. have you seen duraceramic installed? i originally wanted it but, in addition to not liking the choice of sizes, the two installations i've seen recently did not look like real tile to me. i would rank the look of the good sheet vinyls above it. jmo.

• dsaffell
    16 years ago

I have had duraceramic for 2 years in my kitchen. I have 2 teenagers and 2 german shepards.It still looks as good as the day it was installed. I love it and we are going to put it in our gameroom.It is not as cold as regular ceramic and is easy to clean. We did it without grout and the installer put a seam sealer on it.

• gclune012_gmail_com
    16 years ago

I have Duraceramic that was just installed in new additions that span a new entry way to the old house area, to a new kitchen and old laundry room. The floors are apparently varying degrees of level in the old spaces and the thresholds to the new spaces are marked by a noticeable bump. I just read the specs for how level the floor must be and am shocked! Our floor is no where need what is required. We are considering firing our current contractor and having it re-installed by by another contractor.

Any suggestions for the proper installation of Duraceramic over new concrete slabs that are covered by plywood and lauan, and old house areas that are lauan and plywood over support beams from the basement? We are still curious how we ended up with "speed bumps" at the thresholds.

• nwcalgary
    16 years ago

After relying on these boards for help, thought I'd post. Just had Congoleum Duraceramic installed without grout and it's super. Front hall, laundry, bathroom, foyer, kitchen. Mops up easily. Looks like regular tile and the sealer protects the edges. The retailer had it for their lunchroom floor. The installer, 14 yrs experience, has installed a lot of it. He says the surface is very tough and he thinks it's a very good product. When replacing a tile, he must use his best blades to cut into it. Had considered Mannington tile but the designer pointed out how Duraceramic's bevelled edge is more forgiving of slightly uneven surfaces (no floor is perfect) and looks more like ceramic. During hardwood installation right after, the hardwood guys cut a tile on the edge while whittling some overhanging underfloor so we needed the tile replaced. It was pretty easy to do. If that had been vinyl, we'd been patching a brand new floor (or getting them to replace it). Much less hassle! Use paint stripper heater to heat up the tile properly.
    Re installation - very important to rotate the tiles to vary the design, also don't drag your appliances across them - use plywood or dolly. The new look took 10 yrs off our house. Am hoping the slightly uneven surface will not collect the dirt so we'll see. Will post again in a year with an update. Thx all for your posts.

• airforceguy
    16 years ago

My update on the Dura ceramic.
    First off I will say the store I purchased/installed from have been great and have fixed or will fix what is required!

1)Installed in kitchen back in early 2007. Have had to replace TWO tiles because of slices!! 1 was from a sheba cat food falling down, and left a small but noticable cut. Second cut may have been from scissors falling and leaving a cut!! Both repaired free of charge

2) Had both bathroom installed about 1 month ago! Installed didnt completely level floor, THUS in 1 spot (fitst tile u step on) it has indented!! Plus we have another cut on another tile, not sure from what!!! Both will be fixed FREE in the NEw Years!

3) easy to clean?? Well not mine. The top is very textured,so lots of little grooves!! And when I clean my floor, I clean on my hands and knees!! No mop for me! And I have to really work at it to clean!! Is it impossible to clean? no. But just not as easy as linoleum or hard wood or porcelin tile (in my opinion)

4) we went with the grout. Installer didnt like the grout product that comes with it. It tends to crack at first, and it has, but he will come back and fix it free of charge!!

It is an ok product and its warranty wil lcover the period we have left in our condo, so it will suffice. friends have it as well, and they have had no problems at all and enjoyy it.

• chocolateloverka
    16 years ago

We had duraceramic installed in Aug.07. It's beautiful, warmer than ceramic ( which we have in a hall and foyer), and gentler for standing than ceramic. I dropped scissors on it and it did leave a hole. Cleaning is hardly easy. Initially after installation is was very difficult to get the grouting material off the tiles that didn't come off with the scaper wehn installing. This floor requires hands and knees scrubbing and all those little grooves accumulate dirt easily. We don't wear shoes in the house and have no pets or children living at home. I wouldn't recommend duraceramic unless one is up for aggressive cleaning. If anyone has suggestions for cleaning , I'm all ears!

• cyndipote_aol_com
    16 years ago

We wanted ceramic tile in our kitchen and bathrooms but the floors were too unstable. ServiceMaster (fixing water damage) suggested DuraCeramic. After reading these postings I'm a little hesitant, but I love the look. Comments/suggestions?

• indygal
    16 years ago

I just looked at Duraceramic tile today and was very enthusiastic about it after hearing the salesman's pitch. Now I'm having doubts about it after reading this discussion. I guess I'll stick with ceramic tile even thought it's colder and will likely break any glassware dropped on it. Better to lose a glass now and then instead of damaging the floor. We plan to use it in many areas and I'm too old to put that much effort into cleaning the floor.

• layersny42
    16 years ago

I am new to remodeling and have installed the duraceramic with grout in a bathroom. I found it very easy to install, I used my wet saw to cut it and that worked great! I also have recently used my wet saw to cut hardibacker I am useing for tiling, a couple of uses for a wet saw nobody in my area has seemed to be familiar with. I installed the duraceramic just over a yr ago, and it is still in perfect shape. I have pictures on myspace at http://www.myspace.com/ascontracting the pictures for the duraceramic are under the "flooring" album, feel free to check out my other projects and leave comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: my business

• abigail_68
    16 years ago

Well it took 6 months and 2 inspections but we finally got Congoleum to pay to get this garbage out of our house and we replaced it with real ceramic tile. We almost had to sue the company we bought it from because they (of course) swear it's the "next best thing". It ripped and chipped so easily and it was a NIGHTMARE to clean!!!!

Congrats to those that love it and for those that are about to have it installed ... good luck with that.

• gpj1218_suddenlink_net
    16 years ago

I'm so glad I found this forum! I was considering Duraceramic because I live in an old house built on pier and beam, and it shifts too much for ceramic. I also can't use wood, cork or bamboo because I have water leakage from time to time.

After reading these posts, I decided to test my samples of Duraceramic by dropping a pair of scissors on them from about 3 ft. Sure enough, it DID make a hole in 2 of them! I will not be using this product. Adura (vinyl tile made by Mannington) did stand up to the dropped scissor test, however.

Thank you so much for saving me a costly mistake!

• katem997
    16 years ago

I guess I'm in the opposite camp than most of you. I researched for a new floor for 6 months - finally decided on porcelain tile for it's durability and maintainability. It has been less than a month, and I cannot tell you how disappointed I am with the floor. At least 12 tiles are chipped on the edges, the floor is harder than I ever imagined it would be (might as well be a basement floor), because the cement sub-floor raised my floor it essentially 'lowered' my countertops, and now I have done something darn near permanent that will be a horrible mess to get out. Wish I'd gone with the Dura-Ceramic. I would have spent less and it would be easier to replace.
    I guess what I've come to realize is that no floor is perfect. Go cheaper and replace sooner, I say. If you go with tile, be 100% certain you want it and that you won't want to replace it.

• glennsfc
    16 years ago

Some people can live with this product and be happy with it and others just hate it. My brother's business is beginning to get callbacks about the stuff and he has done a ton of it.

Congoleum has a positive reputation for responding to consumer complaints...I just hope that this policy has not changed much over the years.

• mva123456789_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

We had duraceramic installed in our kitchen, nook, entrance, laundry room and bathroom 6 months ago. We are very happy with it.

Yes it can be installed over sheet vinyl flooring which was done at our house.

The grout is very good - I have spilled spagetti sauce on it and it just wiped off leaving no stain at all. Try doing that with ceramic. The tiles are also stightly flexible so you will not get cracked tiles.

I did experiment with a tile before buying and the surface can be chipped if something sharp and heavy is dropped on it. Since it has been installed I have dropped a can of soup and slid the washer and dryer over it with no problems or marks. Tiles can be replaced so I kept a few spares and some extra grout.

Cleaning - must depend on the color chosen - our floor doesn't show dirt at all and is not a problem to keep clean.

Installation - the contractor did a wonderful job. We had the tiles installed at 45 degrees throughout and the complex cuts he did are just not possible with ceramic tile. Also the grout turned our very good - no cracks and no residual grout left on the tiles.

• ekoreilly
    15 years ago

anyone know of a person for installation in Syracuse, NY area?

• rddsr
    15 years ago

We put Dura Ceramic in our kithen, dining room and sun room last June of "08". We are experincing small round bumps showing up it a few of our tiles. An installer said it could be staples that wern't completely recessed when the underlayment was installed. He said to heat the tiles where the bumps appear and then pound them down with a hammer on a piece of underlayment. I tried this, the bumps are still visable but not as evident. Has anyone out there had a similar occurance. Please respond. The next step is to replace each tile effected and then next would be the entire floor system. Other than my above concerns, we do like the tile system itself.

• icdubparts_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I just installed duraceramic in my kitchen. The install was pretty easy and I have never really installed a floor before.

The glue is awesome. I haven't grouted it yet. I would put it in again.

Just be careful where you order it. I ordered mine from American Carpet Wholesalers (AKA: Floors To Go Dalton Inc,
    Discountfloor.com, ACWG, www.carpet-wholesale.com)

They screwed me on about $400 worth of tiles. Offered no assistance. Just a consumer warning that this company will screw you over so stay far far away.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Carpet Wholesalers

• bruceandgayle
    14 years ago

Can anyone recommend an installer in Central NJ

• Vicki
    14 years ago

I have both ceramic tile, and duraceramic in my house. I love the duraceramic. It has been laid on a concrete subfloor. I have no problems with it and love the softer and warmer feel than the ceramic. I worried that the texture would require a scrub brush but it wipes clean as easily as the ceramic. Everyone who has seen it comments that it feels great underfoot and looks as good as the ceramic.

• dianne_p
    13 years ago

This is really an interesting topic because I am planning to remodel my kitchen tiles. I am confused if either ceramic or duraceramic. My friend suggested that I should go for ceramic tile because it is more durable compared to duraceramic. But I also like the look of duraceramic tiles. I have already check various sites on ceramic tiles and have stumbled upon the site below that offers modern and classy design. Should I go for it? Need help. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Tile

• deborah7425
    13 years ago

Most of these posts are from several years ago. Does anyone have current opinions on the various Duraceramic type products? The salesman told me to figure $8 per sq foot for this tile versus approx $15 per sq foot for real ceramic (including all the installation and floor prep). And he said you can't add accent pieces as you could with real stone. There are trade-offs, but price is important to me. Would a friend who rehabs houses be able to handle the leveling required? Are the new tiles today still so hard to clean? I need help deciding!!

• mikora7
    13 years ago

We have Duraceramic tile in our front entryway. We bought two colors that we liked together and my husband actually installed it. We aren't super skilled people, just followed the directions carefully and it looks great! It's been installed for a couple years now (no grout)and we've only noticed one issue. Somewhere along the line, a line was cut into the tile on one tile. It's on a dark tile so it's not a big deal for us as it blends in. We've had no problems with the corners at all. Maybe we got lucky as we've got five kids and three cats, walk across the flooring many times a day and the kids aren't careful with dropping backpacks, books, snowy/icy boots, etc. After reading some of these reports, I wonder if the quality has improved in the past couple of years or if we just got lucky?
    When we went to find flooring for our kitchen, we actually went with a similar floor ~ Nafco's Vinyl Tiles that look just like ceramic but feels nice underfoot. They aren't perfect either but very easy to install and no need to grout as the grout lines are built into the tiles. We have dropped dishes on it and occasionally scissors fall as well. It's been in for just over a year and we have had one major ding ~ a shard of broken glass got caught under a chair leg and we didn't know it until it was too late. It is definitely worth checking into!

• forrest_2010
    13 years ago

We remodeled our kitchen less than 2 years ago and installed dura ceramic tile, it was easy to install and looked great. However, we found that it chips very easily when anything is dropped on it. My wife said it has to GO! So, we are in the process of replacing it with ceramic tile. Hopefully it will prove to be more durable and will not chip. Based on what we have experienced, I would not recommend it.

• shilohjanice_aol_com
    13 years ago

Steam clean these floors and it will be simple. I had 3 floors for 2 years. Easy to clean with a steamer. No problems of any kind, just total happiness and can;t wait until I have another floor done.

• marg7430_aol_com
    13 years ago

We had some duraceramic installed about two months ago and it looks good and we like it. but we do find that it chips easily. so far only tiny chips. sny one know of a 'patch' so far we have only had pencil point size chips. can you fill them with anthing. the store we bought the tile from in Richmond va is a waste and I really don't want to talk to them.not ready to give up on it yet. like the look.. t

• Floortech
    13 years ago

Regarding the chipping issue, I have recently had a discussion with Congoleum Corp regarding the issue specifically. Their thought is that they were dumbfounded regarding the chipping issues as they feel the product does not chip any easier than any other resilient floor. Vinyl will ding..laminate will ding, hardwood will ding, and any other hard surface reacts negatively to dropping something hard on it.One thing they state and I agree with is that if you have an issue they will correct it as they are extremely consumer conscious about making things right. I have seen them issue claim repairs on jobs I would never have agreed with. We sell more of it than anyone in our part of the state and have a very low claim ratio on it. We do have our customer sign an acknowledgment that they must use protectors under chairs as that is where issues seem to occur more than anything. Tile will chip and crack also when you drop something on it. We have more return customers on Duraceramic than anything in our store...and ps it is easy to repair..easier than any other product including laminate flooring. You have to respect it as a floor like anything else and some people do not...I also feel that some of the chip ability has a lot to do with the softness of the subfloor as we demonstrate its toughness with a big can drop on our display and even a hammer. But it is installed on cement and it is solid as heck when its on cement and very difficult to chip. Good Luck.

• deverie777_aol_com
    13 years ago

We installed adura in November. Ours is laid over birch underlay (recommended by our installer). It has no grout. I cook all the time and spill things, and I have to say that it is really easy to clean and it looks so rich--especially with our new walnut floors. So far no chips or cracks and I don't expect any.

• fxdlruntmd3_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

We installed Duraceramic a few years ago and have had no problems until I noticed an issue today. If you have pets....beware. I have a dog who apparently has been sick and I just found a spot where she vomited (clear liquid) and it dried up. When I cleaned it up I couldn't believe what it did to the tile. I looks like the top layer had melted. I will be checking into the warranty. While it is not real visible...I don't think this should have happened considering the cost. Has anyone else had this happen?? I have not heard of this.

• Floortech
    13 years ago

I honestly believe it is on top of the Duraceramic. DuraCeramic actually uses a Urethane and aluminum oxide mixture to protect it. I have seen some instances where you would swear the tile is damaged and it cleaned off with the right cleaner. Congoleum will make it right if it is damaged for sure. Call Congoleum customer service and ask them what they want you to attempt to clean it with. Then go from there. They will be real cordial with you I am sure. Good Luck.

• cjkcarol_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

does anyone know if you need to seal the grout used with Duraceramic?

• babs711
    12 years ago

I just saw this thread. Ours was installed in '06 in our playroom. We chose it because the playroom had porcelain tile in it previously which was so cold and hard all the time. The playroom is rather large so we didn't want to go with wood b/c of the expense. The Duraceramic seemed like a moderately priced option which would be warmer, softer, etc.

I will say that it looks very very nice. People are completely shocked when we tell them the floors are not ceramic or porcelain. We went with a beige shade and a somewhat matching grout. We were told that even the grout was a special substance that was easy to clean and did not need to be sealed.

However, in our new build we will NOT be using this type of product and here's why:

- I find the tiles always seem dirty. Whatever the coating is on top feels a bit rougher to the touch than a regular ceramic/porcelain tile. Thus it seems to hold on to dirt more. I have to work harder at cleaning the floors than I do any of the tiled or wood floors in our home.

- On the same note, the "cleanable grout" is NOT as cleanable as they said. Some spots have things that are permanently stained into the grout it seems. So, if you do go with this product, I'd see if they now make a sealer. If not, I'd go with a dark grout for sure.

- There are two spots with dings/dents in the top surface of the tiles. One is from dropping something. The other was from moving a piece of furniture. I think that's where the corner started moving. This one looks almost like the top surface is all smushed up and shows the hard layer underneath...very strange. I don't think anyone notices them but me. But they bother me to death. I don't think that would have happened with regular tile even.

Anyway, that's my experience five years after installation. We will look at other surfaces for our new home.

• Jakzof3
    12 years ago

Have read all of the threads above. We were going to purchase Dura Ceramic for our kitchen and now don't know what to do. I do not want wood or ceramic and all of the flooring places tell us that vinyl laminate is out of style. What do we do?
    We have to have our decision made by next week..So very perplexed...

• User
    12 years ago

Jakzof3 - Hope you decided to get DuraCeramic. I've had it almost a year in my foyer, powder room and kitchen. It was installed over sheet vinyl with no wear problems at all. It won't be mistaken for ceramic tile, but it fits the bill for warmth and comfort. I've had no cleaning problems and it's a light color. I came to this thread because I'm considering a DIY in masterbath...hesitant because I have few DIY skills and fewer power tools! Cutting all those tiles by hand is intimidating...

• nancyinwi
    11 years ago

We had Duraceramic tile put in when we had our kitchen remodeled 2 1/2 years ago. A few months ago, I noticed what I thought was splattered white paint or plaster on one of the tiles. It never came up when washed. Today, I noticed that the spots are getting much bigger and several tiles are affected. It looks like the top colored layer of the tiles is pitted. One is where a kitchen chair is pulled out frequently. We were never told to put felt on the bottom of the chair legs. They have metal "protectors" on the bottoms. However, two other tiles are affected which are not near the chairs, but are in the main traffic area of the kitchen. We rarely wear shoes in our house, so I don't think it could be from scuffing. We have a call into our remodeler. They never left us with any information about the floor (or anything else!) on how to protect or clean it. Needless to say, I'm pretty ticked off about it because we were sold it because they said it was much more durable than regular tile or hardwood floors. And it had a lifetime warranty. Now I'm reading on various websites as well as the Congoleum website, that they won't warranty normal "wear." My floor looks like crap. We do have extra tiles and grout, so I suppose we could tackle the job ourselves. I just never thought that a floor this expensive would need replacing after less than 3 years. The tiles cost us $5.50 each!

• buckfloors
    10 years ago

I installed Duraceramic about a year ago in our main bathroom. I have been pleased with it. To address any of the issues mentioned above I will give my experience with it. I installed it myself and found it easy to do. I have installed ceramic though. If you install it yourself, use only the Duraceramic adhesive. Spread it with the trowel attachment included with the adhesive. It will be blue at first and when it is ready for installation it will be clear. You can touch it with a finger and your finger will stick. When you pull it away no adhesive will come with your finger if it is ready. If it does let it dry a little longer then test again. Know this though. Once the tile goes down it is down for good. You will have to pry it off if it goes down crooked. You cannot adjust it. It's not like pulling your finger away. I put it in at an angle against the spacers and then slide sideways against the spacers on the side as I lower it. Once it hits the adhesive it is there to stay or you pry it off. Only use Duraceramic grout. Ceramic tile grout would be too thin. When cleaning up after grouting make sure you ring your sponge out very well before wiping down. Any grout will crack with too much water introduced during installation. I did not seal it and for the most part it has maintained its color. There is one spot in front of the toilet where the grout has darkened. Like you would see with unsealed ceramic tile grout. I had my tiles shipped directly to my house and each carton was wrapped with hard cardboard edge protectors. I think the courier probably tossed them around pretty good despite the fragile label. Several of the tiles had hairline cracks on the bottoms that didn't go all the way through. I installed one that showed a line but didn't really look like a crack. After installation, the crack traveled through to the top. Ceramic would not crack on the bottom only. It would break all the way through so make sure you inspect the top and bottom of the tiles before laying them. Replacement will be easy with a heat gun and because it is at a heat register, I could really pry it off though it will break off in pieces. I am impressed with the adhesive. When scoring the tiles for proper fit, I like to use a utility knife and a straight edge. I just make about 8-10 passes lightly with the knife instead of trying to cut 1 or 2 times deep. Your knife will go crooked it you press too hard. Then I just snap it in two and it is a super clean cut. That part is so much easier than ceramic. Wear has been excellent. Still looks new. I have never dropped anything on it but I did try dropping a set of keys and my tape measure on a piece prior to installation and it took it. It wasn't fastened to the subfloor at that time though. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again and actually am about to in another bathroom. I can't stand height reducers from room to room and Duraceramic is a perfect transition where my floors were built up to accommodate the sheet vinyl that was the original installation. I personally would not install Duraceramic on top of sheet vinyl. I'd have to have wood. I can't speak to concrete. Just make sure the tiles are inspected and sound prior to installation and do a dry run without installation to make sure you don't run into a situation where you need to cut a sliver or very small piece to finish a run. Pay attention to the directions on the packaging about turning the tiles in alternating directions. They recommend using a roller after installation but I didn't need one. It was a very clean finish.

• nancyinwi
    10 years ago

As a followup to my previous post. Our kitchen remodeler came and removed the scuffed tiles and replaced them with the extras we had at no cost. They took pictures and sent them to Congoleum who reimbursed them for their time. We have since bought a new kitchen table and chairs and have put the felt pieces on the bottoms of the legs.

• Bob6714
    10 years ago

Had our Duraceramic tile installed in 2009 and I have NOT been loving it! It scratches, dents, the grout is NOT stain proof. We have had people out twice within the first two years of installment and the floor looks awful. It is like a magnet for dirt . I have used the recommended cleaner, vinegar with water and any other type of clean that is safe for laminate flooring. I have used a steam cleaner, a Swifter, and have been on my hands and knees multiple times just to get it too look clean. I can't wait to replace it. Congoleum was not very helpful the two times I called....in fact the lady that I talked to was very rude. After the first couple of years I gave up and decided it's my punishment for not getting the tile my husband initailly wanted. It was expensive and totally NOT worth a fraction of what we paid. It just my husband and myself in the house...so high traffic is not the issue. It's just the durability of the material. It's funny, but the guy who installed it told me that I was going to "hate" this flooring after the first two months. Apparently he had it in his mudroom and he replaced it within 9 months! Oh well.....live and learn!

• ndoilgirl
    10 years ago

this post is very interesting - I ran across it when researching what kind of flooring to install when building our new home.
    I had Dura Ceramic installed with grout in both bathrooms in our older home about
    9 years ago. I love it! It is warmer to walk on than ceramic tile and I have never had an issue with cleaning it. I just use my Swiffer on it occasionally and it cleans very nicely. Granted, my bathrooms are both small and I keep rugs in front of the sinks and toilets, but with 2 teen age sons and all their many friends coming and going over the years plus a couple dogs and my husband & I, there has been plenty of traffic. We do remove shoes at the door generally, which probably helps, but I have never found any chips, scratches, etc. on my tiles. I am very seriously considering installing the same tile throughout my new house, including the entries, hallway, bathrooms, kitchen and dining areas. I sure hope it will stand up as well as my old ones have. Unless my contractor comes up with a better product, this will be the one!

• KateSh12
    10 years ago

That national consumer magazine that cannot be named listed Congoleum DuraCeramic Sierra Slate Golden Greige as number ONE in vinyl. (July 2013)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I would never use a product like that. Either real tile or a sheet product, which I can understand the ease and comfort of. The fake floors are nothing but trouble and replacement costs.

• in2knh
    8 years ago

Great product! Have had it installed for at least five years in my bath room. Floors are heated and Great tactile feel. No wear even after major scrubbing, I am going to have more installed in the new sun room. I think this stuff is great, not too hard, not too soft and a good lasting product. Those who think otherwise need to get a reasable life and stop expecting mericals because of their own stupidity! Thanks for a great product! GC

• Mike Murray
    7 years ago

I happened upon this post because I'm looking for more Dura Ceramic ideas for a new area. We installed this product during a kitchen remodel primarily due to the fact a slight roll in the floor of this old house could not be leveled fully. Ceramic tile wasn't an option because of that and wood would have been equally challenging. With a hairdryer, the product heated up enough to flex slightly during the install/gluing - a perfect solution to this issue. The room is approx. 14x21. It has received heavy use. My only issues - one chair foot had a rough spot - the surface is scratched from moving the chair under the table, etc, before I noticed. Solved with chair foot pads. A glass bowl dropped from a cabinet above a fridge. It broke the surface of the tile. Hint: don't drop dishes from 7 feet. A steam mop was left sitting on the tile while hot; it dulled the surface. Follow steam mop instructions. Otherwise, it's been a great product and we're almost 10 years in.

• rich0224
    7 years ago

We had duraceramnic in the kitchen installed by professionals with a new underlayment.

After on 9 months edges started curling up, any dropped item with a sharp edge has the potential for (easily) causing a nick or cut in the top layer of the tile. Any gravel stuck on shoes has the potential for causing nicks/cuts/scuffs/scratches.

If you want a truely DURABLE tile stay away from this product, its only useful

in a SHOWROOM situation.

• Vicki
    7 years ago

Rich you must have a low end dura ceramic is all I can say. Ours has been down 7 years with daily traffic, gravel, water spills, dropping kitchen knives. We have nothing of the sort that you describe. Ours still looks perfect.

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

We put Duraceramic in our kitchen almost 4 years ago. It feels nice underfoot (we're socks and bare feet folks), and we haven't had any damage or problems. We liked it enough to put it in our foyer (replacing ugly, cracked ceramic tile). No problems there either.

I was a bit nervous after reading so many negative reviews, but ours has held up great so far. I have several spare tiles, so I could replace a few if I needed to.

• PRO
    Bullz I Construction Ltd
    7 years ago

We have Duraceramic in our bathroom. LOVE IT!!! It's warmer, feels softer even though it's not and it doesn't break!! My husband just did my daughters kitchen and back stairs in Duraceramic and she's in awe at how beautiful it turned out. She too loves the durability of it, the warmth and the hardiness. We will be using it in our new house for sure!! We also used the vinyl strip flooring that looks like wood. We have it in our bedroom and my daughter again had her whole house done in it. 30 yr warranty, commercial grade, durable, easy to change out scratched or damaged strips. Again............going into our new house. Would never use real wood floors.

• turkeycourtsc
    6 years ago

I had Duraceramic put in our kitchen with the grout. It is durable yet soft on the feet and easy to keep clean. I've received a lot of compliments and many didn't even know it was a Congolium product.

• Brandi Siemens
    2 years ago

We have had duraceramic for 11 years and it has held up beautifully. I would never choose ceramic tile over this product because ceramic is so cold and hard.