Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dusty footprints on dyed concrete

Posted by hilltop (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 9:45

We recently built a farm shop. In the part with offices, breakroom and restrooms we did dyed concrete. The contractor told us to simply damp mop and periodically go over it with Trewax Gold Label Sealer Wax. It looks gorgeous right after the wax; but it's a disaster if anyone walks on it. Every footprint shows. Obviously on a farm we're going to have dust and mud. We initially discussed putting in a tile floor but due to cost and the concern over the grout we stayed with concrete. But I have a love/hate relationship with it. Shown below are pictures taken 24 hours after a scrub/wax job. I have rugs at every door going in and out.
I'm at a loss. Right now I'm using the glossy formula of trewax; next I'm going to try their satin version but I have to special order it. Using a swifter doesn't pick up the footprints. Using a microfiber dustmop leaves funky marks in the wax. Any suggestions on different products or what to do?

IMG_1450

IMG_1451

The colors in the next two photos aren't accurate. It's much more golden brown, not golden green like the pic
IMG_1452

IMG_1453

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dusty footprints on dyed concrete

I don't know if this will help or not. I'm looking at stained concrete flooring in a new house build on my farm and after seeing your post I'm not sure I want to do the sealing process. I came across this web-site that does diamond polishing. I've given you the link, read down further on the page to the following heading.
>>>>>>What�s wrong with regular stained concrete ? Why spending less will cost you more...A LOT MORE ! READ THIS<<<
I'm going to presume that polishing is more expensive but it seems to make sense. I want a literally no maintenance floor. Maybe there is a company in your area that does this?
I love the colouring in the 3rd and 4th photos.
Cheers - Kim - BFFF

Here is a link that might be useful: Stained Concrete Flooring

o

What does your contractor say? Maybe they can tell you a better product to use?

o

Thanks bfff for the link - yest that's what I'm thinking. We'd gotten a couple bids, but in our rural area there weren't a lot of contractors doing the work and our contractor came well recommended. He's supposed to be coming back to fill in the scratches that occurred by other contractors during final finish work, but I've been waiting several months. He's scheduled to come next weekend and is bringing a different, more commercial grade, sealer wax. Wanted to see if anyone had any other words of wisdom here.

My husband wants to get runner rugs to put down the hallway and then vacuum each day at the end of the day. I'm not sure I want to go that route. To me the rugs would just get filthy. Right now I wash the scatter rugs by each door about 2X a week because of the dust/dirt. Can't imagine vacuuming is going to fully clean a runner rug.

o

Let your husband get the rugs but let him know he has to do the vacuuming. hehehe, bet he'll think better of that after a few days.

There are those mop brooms (? correct name for them), maybe shop brooms, look like a big duster. Maybe you'll need to run one of those over the floor daily to get rid of the foot marks. Sorry cannot be of more assistance. Will be interested to hear if you come up with a solution though. Good Luck Hilltop.
Cheers Kim - BFFF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here