Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about laminate flooring

Posted by raineygirl (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 8:57

Can you actually put down laminate over top of ceramic tile? If this is possible, it sure would be much better than having to take it up and deal with the dust and all. I want to put down laminate flooring throughout my living/dining area and hallway as well as the tiled sunroom. The sunroom's tile flows into the foyer and living room and surrounds the fireplace. While I need to keep some of the tile around the fireplace, I would like to have that opened look of the rooms instead of the chopped up look I have now. I live in an upstairs condo and was concerned about the noise it may bring vs. carpeting. Just about all of my neighbors who are replacing their floors are using laminate/hardwoods now. I just want to make the right decision:) My carpet is almost 20 yrs old and needs to go!! Plus, I have 2 cats and one is a senior and sometimes has accidents. Someone said that the laminate flooring can be sealed in the grooves to keep leakage from causing buckling up. Don't know how true that is..??

Any advice or opinions are welcomed!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about laminate flooring

Your substrate needs to be FLAT for laminate, otherwise the different heights stresses the join and you get pops and snaps and the joins can fail. There are some waterproof laminates, but they are pretty darn pricy. The best product for incontinent animals is sheet vinyl flooring. It can be had also relatively inexpensively. None of these floors can be installed on top of tile without a great deal of prep work to make it flat. In the end, it will just be easier to take up the tile.

o

thanks live wire. I was thinking that same thing that it can't be done. I don't want to put vinyl in my living room/dining area; I wanted to go with laminate that looks like wood. Is it true that the laminate joints can be sealed? What brand of laminate is waterproof? If I decide to stay with carpet, I'll have the same issues with my senior cat that I have now. Carpeting is hard to get urine smell out of it when it comes to a cat's nose. We may not be able to smell it but they can and sometimes will go back to that area which made me think laminate would be a better choice.

I'm just so confused right now about what I should replace this old carpeting with. True, my senior cat won't be around for ever but I have a young cat too:) Anybody who has animals knows what I'm talking about. I will always have animals in my home and want to keep that in mind when purchasing flooring.

o

You have to have something like stone or tile Infront of your fireplace x amount of feet away. You can get 12mm grade laminate that will be as thick as the carpet with padding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here