Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP- Problems with new marble tile.

Posted by sunroomguy (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 8:42

i recently purchased marble tile for our front foyer. before i placed the order, i was very specific about wanting a high quality product. so i was very surprised when i noticed many of the tile had spots/ areas that do not have a high polish. these came from out of state and the vendor is giving me the run around. he said this is normal and always have to be spot buffed onsite. is this true? if yes, what type and grit of buffing compound is best to use. is there a particular type of buffing wheel. does this take much time? i'm hoping for advice from professional installers. thanx in advance for your reply.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP- Problems with new marble tile.

Sounds like it was exposed to a substance that etched it. Normal? Yes. It's normal for marble to etch when exposed to a lot of things that are acids and that is what will happen once installed as it's used in a normal manner. Scratches will happen too, because it's relatively soft. But it's not normal to open the box to marble that has been "pre-patinad" for you. Dispute the charge with your credit card company if the seller won't solve the problem. Now, if the marble has been installed, yes, it's simply behaving as marble behaves and it's normal for it to etch or stain. Sealing can help with the staining, but not the etching or scratching.

o
RE: HELP- Problems with new marble tile.

Refuse it. Take it back. If it's etched from the start, it's unacceptable. If YOU etched, you're on your own. They should deliver you a virgin product.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here