Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boystown

Rental Property Floor Problems

boystown
9 years ago

I have a small rental and my last tenant absolutely destroyed the house. It was a no pet and no smoking house and she did both. I removed all the carpeting that reeked of cat urine. Underneath the carpet is a nice wood floor but there is glue on top of the wood. A lot of glue. Is it possible to get all that glue off the floor and sand the floor. I have a tight budget for this rental. Please help

Comments (6)

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

Depending on the thickness of the wood, yes, the floor can be sanded but unless you plan on doing this project urself its going to be expensive to hire a pro

• boystown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Why would there be glue over the wood? From what I can see of the wood floor, it seems nice. Can I rent a sander? I have sander a lot of stuff but not a floor. I have a very low budget so if it is possible to sand it off, then I will have to be the one to do it. Thanks, Sharon

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

Sometimes they glue the padding or even carpet down. Honestly its hard to say. Someone who did it could have had a number or reasons.

Like i said if theres enough meat left on the wood then yes you can. But you fall into a dilema of making it look nice enough to rent it out. If you have the skills and the time and patience then sure. But inexperience of a drum sander can ruin the floor in a mere second.

• boystown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Greg. I value your comments and with no experience with sanding a floor, I will go to plan B which is carpet or possible vinyl planks. I have enough hard work to do at this house and my budget will not allow me to hire a pro to do it.. Again, thanks for your advise.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

The fastest fix would be to re-carpet. Glue can be removed by sanding or steaming, but even if you steam the glue off, you'll need to sand to refinish them. In a rental, I'd probably opt to recarpet.

• boystown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Weedyacres, thanks for your comment and you are right. I did not want to go the carpet route again but everyday the house sets empty, I loose money. Besides, there is no assurance that the wood floors would work out in the entire home. Carpet it will be. Thank you so much