Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geo4_gw

Teak hardwood flooring

geo4
10 years ago

Hi
Does anyone have Brazailan Teak for their floors ? If you please tell me about it how long you had them, Do the floors get gaps like some people say and the brand name. Thank you so geo

Comments (11)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Any wood floors will get gaps, it is called expansion and contraction and is unavoidable.

• geo4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ten years ago I put Bruce birchall plank floor down over 1200 feet with 15 lbs felt under it on an 3/4 plywood sub floor. This floor has not moved at all no gaps. But it not made anymore or we would use it

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Your incorrect, any and all wood DOES expand and contract, it has too. If it is installed properly and the house maintains the correct level of humidity the movement should not ever really be noticeable because all the boards will move slightly and evenly.

• geo4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You would be correct in that way. Guess my floors dosent show any gaps. My mistake in my question or way I asked it. I read that people put teak floors down and a few months later the teak develops a big gap between the boards. And I wanted to know if anyone else had those big gaps in the teak flooring

• User
    10 years ago

Cumaru has issues in most American homes without strict humidity control. Using a humidifier and your AC is required, and even then, it will expand and contract more than a standard domestic hardwood. You have to assess your tolerances for that. It's also a pretty busy look, and can limit your décor choices because of that. If you want the floor to be THE star, it can work. If you want the floor to provide a backdrop for the other features in the home, you should move on and choose something with a less varied appearance.

• clg7067
    10 years ago

I also heard that Cumaru has stability issues. If you use an engineered product instead of solid wood, you will minimize the problem.

• geo4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone have cumaru for their hardwood floors? And I saw an engineered cumaru thinking that might be better then the solid teak.

• geo4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone have cumaru for their hardwood floors? And I saw an engineered cumaru thinking that might be better then the solid teak.

• UniqueWoodFloor
    10 years ago

millworkman and live_wire_oak both made a good point about the humidity controlled environment. Brazilian Teak Cumaru moves more than most other wood species. But it can be successfully installed and used in most house if the home owners pay attention to their houses' Relative Humidity. One other critical factor: the wood needs to be kiln dried to the correct moisture of content 6 to 9% at the mill level. I can not agree with live_wire_oak on the look of Cumaru. To me it came with a quite natural hues and color variances which many designers favor. Many mills separate the reddish pieces to be called dark or red Cumaru which will make the rest more uniform in color and tone. Geo 4, Engineered may not always be more stable than solid format as in any other species. Engineered in general performs better in humid environment than in a dry cold climate as Midwest. Plus engineered floors can be made very cheaply or quite much more expensively compared to solid. So it is hard to straightly compare them. Hope my 2 cents help. Happy Sat.

• geo4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Uniquewoodfloor that is sound advice and I have heared the same from an supplyer or teak (that teak is not a good wood for engineered wood it not as stable as solid wood teak is) the low price of the engineered teak was 7.39 online the same engineered teak here in Cincinnati 2 flooring shops same wood same company that makes the engineered wood floor,, first price 12.95 the second store 10 miles away 25.95 a foot without installing.
    amazing in the price differance in 10 miles .online prices 7.39 to 10.99 and a pro would charge me 1.75 to install the floor..the engineered wood is 3/4 by 5 wide.
    Solid teak 3/4 by 3 1/4 is 6.39 on line,in the stores here it is 16.99 install..I am like most working people is trying to get a good product for an reasonable price.
    and thank each and everone for thier throughts and comments.George

• User
    10 years ago

If you want a good product for a reasonable price, look at a domestically produced and milled hardwood like an oak, maple, pecan, or hickory. Something that doesn't come from the rainforest and have to be shipped halfway around the world. You can halve your budget and be 4 times as green.