Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grout not level with tile - is this normal? PICS

Posted by karenn (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 5:36

I want to gather some opinions before I kill the tile guy....

I know nothing about tile installation, we had to do this install within one week I didn't have any time to research - ended up going with pretty much the cheapest installer :(

I am wondering if it is normal to NOT have the tile and grout be level and flush? (ie: grout coming up to the very top of the tile edge)

We can feel the space between each tile when we walk on it because the grout is lower than the tiles.

is this shoddy work? should I have them put in more grout? please help!

click on thumbnails for bigger pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grout not level with tile - is this normal? PICS

The grout is too low. It's not supposed to be flush with the top of the tile but it needs to come up to a certain point.

In the first photo, see how there's a beveled edge on the tile that is a lighter color than the rest of the tile? The grout needs to be even with the bottom of that edge. Just like it is for a small section on the very right of the photo so you don't see the dark bottom of the tile.

o

thanks! i knew it looked too low......... anyone else agree?

o

Yes.

o

To correct this you need to "regrout", meaning have it removed and do it over. Sooner the better for ease of removal. (That's my understanding, anyway.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here