Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenn_gw

Grout not level with tile - is this normal? PICS

karenn
14 years ago

I want to gather some opinions before I kill the tile guy....

I know nothing about tile installation, we had to do this install within one week I didn't have any time to research - ended up going with pretty much the cheapest installer :(

I am wondering if it is normal to NOT have the tile and grout be level and flush? (ie: grout coming up to the very top of the tile edge)

We can feel the space between each tile when we walk on it because the grout is lower than the tiles.

is this shoddy work? should I have them put in more grout? please help!

click on thumbnails for bigger pics

Comments (16)

• karenn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks! i knew it looked too low......... anyone else agree?

• jerry_t
    14 years ago

Yes.

• homebound
    14 years ago

To correct this you need to "regrout", meaning have it removed and do it over. Sooner the better for ease of removal. (That's my understanding, anyway.)

• Darrell Miller
    3 years ago

It’s not uncommon to do grout 2 times. The reason is that it settles down and it’s also is wiped with a sponge and water. It’s not shotty work but keep in mind if you want perfect flush lines which is not common practice or hardly possible with 99% installs then the grout will need to be done and pulled as much as possible then wiped clean or acid wash after grout has cured. Keep in mind this process takes more time. More time = more money.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Hopefully they had the time being the post is 10 years old.........................

• John S
    3 years ago

Hi Darrell and millworkman, was wondering if you could weigh in on a more recent problem since I'm unable to start my own discussion for some reason using the app.

Are these grout lines too low? I feel them with my feet more than I thought I would. My contractor really made a mess out of my two bathrooms and kitchens and now I'm just noticing yet another problem. Any advice on how to fix? I used power grout epoxy. Can I redo just the bathroom floors without disturbing the showers as a worst case scenario?

I appreciate any help or guidance you can provide!

• John S
    3 years ago

Hi Darrell and millworkman, was wondering if you could weigh in on a more recent problem since I'm unable to start my own discussion for some reason using the app.

Are these grout lines too low? I feel them with my feet more than I thought I would. My contractor really made a mess out of my two bathrooms and kitchens and now I'm just noticing yet another problem. Any advice on how to fix? I used power grout epoxy. Can I redo just the bathroom floors without disturbing the showers as a worst case scenario?

I appreciate any help or guidance you can provide!

• Darrell Miller
    3 years ago

Not only is it low but the tile itself is uneven. From the picture looks like very slight lipage. Sometimes it’s a bit difficult to get the grout as high as possible with with tile that’s not rectified tile. Rectified tile means if you place a tile side by side there will not be a gap between them. With non rectified tile like yours and the amount of a grout line gap you chose or someone did it’s hard to get a high grout line.

That pic looks standard practice
    Better quality tile would have helped your lipage and low grout line.
    Did you tell the contractor you wanted high or even with tile grout line? It’s not uncommon to have grout lines like this because there is a cleaning process.

You can add more grout to the grout lines might cost you a days labor charge from most contractors.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

You cannot add more grout, it will not adhere. Beveled tile the grout is always stopped short for the bevel effect. Any higher and the bevel is gone and it will look like a**. Unfortunately the tile installer did what these tile typically get.

• Darrell Miller
    3 years ago

It’s epoxy grout. It will adhere to itself. But you are right it will look bad because the tile is not rectified

• John S
    3 years ago

Hi Darrell. Is there an easy way to tell whether crossville’s Luna moonstruck tile is rectified? The contractor leveled the floor with what I’m thinking now was a thick layer of thinset (which as I read is a no-no but I didn’t catch it in time. I think that is contributing to the lipping. Some joints are level to the tile on one side then don’t meet the other tile next to it because it’s slightly raised.

• John S
    3 years ago

Also - it is a rectified tile. Just checked with manufacturer

• Darrell Miller
    3 years ago

Looks like he laid it 50/50? Look at the box it will tell you that you shouldn’t lay it 50/50.

Yes he should have used leveling compound and not thinset but did you pay for him to level the floor first? That is a job in a job. Of course an experience floor tile guy should have told you it will cost more to level

Take the tile and flip it up side down. Look all around the tile. Is it flat? Look at several tiles that way. If it’s not flat then it’s the quality of the tile on most lipage problems. And also the 50/50 lay

• Darrell Miller
    3 years ago

Other then that. It looks like a good install. I think you are being very picky. Laying tile is not brain surgery but very labor intense. I’ve seen way worse.

• John S
    3 years ago

Appreciate the guidance Darrell. My guard has been up on this job. When we finally decided to go separate ways the new LVT was improperly installed throughout condo (huge bubble areas underneath due to improper leveling), neither shower trim worked, kitchen cabinets weren’t level and they are all beat up despite being brand new, floating vanities were tilted 1/4 inch per foot down toward the front, shortcuts on plumbing, and there are worse areas on some bathroom walls RE tile work but I at least don’t have to walk on those. They also tried to install the shower pan with no grading and couldn’t get the mosaic tile sheets to work. I brought in someone else to do that thinking if we got over that hump we’d be good.