Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noctua_gw

1/2 thick solid oak?

Noctua
10 years ago

While Renovating my home i pulled up my oak floor to find it is only 1/2 thick.
Knowing nothing about flooring at the time it glazed over me.
I was hoping to reuse this wood as flooring in the same house but wanted to try "variable width floor".

The floor was put down in the 50s. It is tongue and groove.
This wood has been sanded before and is currently 3/8 x 1.5" in varying lengths.

I am hoping to find 1/2 x 2.5 to 1/2 x 3.5 for this project. I only need 60 - 90 linear feet at these widths.

The local lumber yards got nothing.
I can not use planed 3/8 because the groove will not match.
I can not use engineered because these have been sanded to 3/8.

The local recycle shops say they will call if the get anything.

I do not even know if 1/2 x 2.5 - 1/2 x 3.5 was ever made.

I am not against buying a planer or other tools.

Options?

Comments (16)

• User
    10 years ago

Time to replace it all. It won't survive another sanding to be refinished.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Perhaps Lebanon Floors mills what you seek.

• Noctua
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, they do!

Thank you glennfsc!

2 to 3 inch wide.

Anyone know what "quarter saw" is?

So stoked right now!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lebanon

• User
    10 years ago

What point is there in putting down 1/2" now when what you have won't stand being sanded for the refinish without getting into the tongue? It's wasting time and money.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Your under the assumption the floor started out as 3/4". We dont know that for fact. Chances are it was originally 1/2" so in this case its alright to go with 1/2" new wood.

• Noctua
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It started as 1/2 x 1 3/4 wood.

Qaurter sawn is apparently the magic wood google needed.
    I am finding more info now that i know that word :D

Can anyone identify the oak type/cut from this image?
    I can take better pics if needed but these three grain paterns i have through the wood.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

The plank on the right looks plain sawn, the plank in the middle looks quarter sawn with ray flecks, and the plank on the left looks quarter sawn...so it looks like a combination there. What do y'all think?

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Actually the one I described as having ray flecks is probably rift sawn.

• Noctua
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So quarter rift and plain sawn?

Wouldnt that be unusual if all the floor was bought in one batch?
    I know it all the same mill from the back stamp.

The floor is very orange so I think it is red oak but could be stained.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

You can find that much sawing variation is select and better grade oak; not unusual at all.

Your samples are orange, because it looks to me from the picture that is was finished with an oilbase polyurethane that has ambered over time. I doubt that it was stained at all. I have found rift sawn ray flecks mostly in red oak flooring, hardly ever in white oak. If you can send a picture of the floor itself, maybe we can identify it better. Also, many times the mill stamping on the back will tell you the species of the wood.

• Noctua
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The back stamp says"mill run p.r. Oak 9-8". There is also a pressed mill stamp with the name of the company, Erie flooring. I called them but no more 1/2 from them.

Here is a picture if a larger random sample of the lengths... No pictures if the installed floor, sorry. Nothing has been done to these other than pulling the up, i think the grey one must have been behind or under something.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Glennsfc is right on the money with the info hes given you. I dont want to steal the thread away but just my two cents ... Looks red oak to me. Natural finish thats been ambered.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

"I dont want to steal the thread away but just my two cents ..."

greg, as far as I'm concerned...you can come in on any thread anytime. We're all here to share what we know, help some folks and learn something along the way. You always have good info to share.

...p. r. probably is the mill's identifying stamp for "plain red"...I could be wrong, but that is my best guess.

• Noctua
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry,I meant to be back sooner.

First off, thank you for all the help, this is for all posters here but more specifically for glennsfc.

A novice like me could not do this alone.

I have more questions if someone would indulge me.

Can i remove the orange colour?
    When i order more wood will regular boxes come mixed grain like i have?

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Have an expert floor refinisher determine in person how much sanding that the existing floor can handle If it's never been refinished (highly unlikely) then there may be enough room to have it sanded down and refinished just fine. If it's been refinished, you may or may not have enough thickness left to be sanded. There is no point in ordering more 1/2" if there isn't enough room left to sand what's there.

You could also post a closeup of the tongue and how much wood there is above it, and you would get opinions here as well.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals