Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
infohound2006

Beautiful Owens Plankfloor -- insane price quote??

infohound2006
14 years ago

We've fallen in love with the Owens unfinished maple select floor ... but just got a horrible sticker shock with a quote from our GC:

Unfinished Owens 5/8 x 5â random length Maple, includes sand and finish natural with three coats Bona Traffic Polyurethane: (approx 2,000 sq ft)

$70,395.00

Does this make any sense? There's no way we will pay $35/ sq ft. installed. Yes, we're in expensive N. California, but still.... Even for a prefinished engineered floor, the Kahrs Maple Winnipeg the GC's quote was $60 K.

So, what's the approx. price / sq ft for the Owens Plankfloor? I'd like to figure out how much of the quoted cost is the
Owens unfinished,
the installation, or
my GC's mark-up (which sometimes has been very high).

As a comparison, I found Owens Prefinished flooring at $9-10/sq ft.

Sanity check?? Advice??

Here is a link that might be useful: Owens Plankfloor prefinished engineered flooring

Comments (10)

• infohound2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you!!! I am glad to know I'M not the one who's nuts. I've learned so much from this forum, but there are times I still feel like the newbie I am. This gives me the confidence to go back to the GC and ask for a MUCH better price ... or a credit, so we can do it outside the contract.

As this is on radiant panels (Rehau Raupanel) it will be a floating floor installation;
    the subfloor had already been leveled.

Glennsfc (or floorguy),
    Can you please help with three follow-up questions:

1. Would you do it with the Owens planks edge-glued together?
    2. I remember floorguy recommending the Sound Solutions underlayment. In our situation, would you suggest that, or something else (for low-R, less hollow)?
    3. Lastly, what about the finish? On a previous house, I'd used AFM Safecoat Polyureseal BP. How does that compare (resistance to scratching, yellowing, VOCs, price) with the Bona Traffic Polyurethane?
  • glennsfc
    14 years ago

I hope Floorguy comes in here with his opinion about the price you were given...who knows?...I might be way off base with too low a per square foot...but I can't believe a $35.20 per square foot price for a simple layout, edge glue floating install and then finish.

Maybe the extra is 'insurance' for installing over radiant? I refuse radiant jobs, so someone else will have to give you advice about low R sound attenuating underlayment.

Can't say anything about AFM Safecoat, never used it.

• floorguy
    14 years ago

I could do it for less, but....

I'm not in California, and I would not allow the GC to add a mark up to my price.

Did a Owens white oak, last year. I think the finl cost installed and finished was around $15-$16 a foot.

I would buy the materials myself and hire my own NWFA trained installer and sand & finish guy. Be your own GC here, with this part of the project.

• infohound2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi folks,

I have very happy news.

I have another quote from a well-recommended flooring installer, that was $34 K. Excellent listening skills, detailed quote, helpful responses. I'm impressed.

Interestingly, after getting the ballpark from Glennsfc, I went back to my GC, who found an "error" in the markup, and lowered it to $65 K. And, after I made it clear that with that much of a mark-up I'd want to handle it myself, he got a lowered bid from the first flooring company, down to $48K. Fascinating how much the price improved because we didn't just swallow and pay.

Still, given that both seemed competent, I know who I want to go with!

Many, many thanks! I knew that the $70 K was nuts, but you two gave me the sanity check and encouragement I needed to get the better price.

(Now I see myself in a testimonial:

ÃÂ ÃÂ the friendly expert contributors on Gardenweb.com saved this California family $36 K on a single flooring contract! )

What an awesome forum! Thank you!!

• glennsfc
    14 years ago

You're very welcome. Now let's hope your choice is up to your expectations!

$34K is what I would have quoted right here in NYC.

Just don't give your GC or the other contractor access to my email please! I don't need or want irate people chewing me out via email.

• floorguy
    14 years ago

34,000 is more in-line with my figures too, even with a nice profit for my time.

• laskas
    14 years ago

infohound,, i have a question, how can you possibly trust your GC after he tried to gouge you like this on the flooring,, I would be so mad,i would fire him on the spot.. nothing wrong with making a profit,but he was trying to rob you blind.

• Patriciaw68
    10 years ago

I recently have a GC quoted for installing the Owens Brazilian Cherry prefinished 5/8 x 5, for 444 sq ft, included remove the old wood floor and haul away,quote is $6000. Because this is the first time we hired a GC to install wood floor, therefore we are not sure if this is a good deal.

• RudyCW
    10 years ago

That's not too bad of a price. Anyone wanting wood floors should budget about $12-20 sq/ft installed depending on materials and the work involved.

Wood is not for the feint of heart.