Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations? low-R value acoustic underlayment?

Posted by infohound2006 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 2:28

Is the Sound Solution underlayment the best option for engineered wood floating floors?

I like its low R-value (0.36), but the Sound Solution's STC and IIC are much less than one recommended by my GC, Silencer HD.

Sound Solution: 60 IIC, 54 STC 0.36 R, 7% compression max
Silencer HD: 70 IIC, 74 STC ?? R, 5% compression max

However, I can't find the R-value of the Silencer HD. Does anyone know? We're going over a radiant floor, so a low R-value is important.

And, is there meaningful difference in how solid an engineered floor would sound with each? I don't know if anything over e.g., 50 IIC is fine enough, or if the numbers still matter above 60.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations? low-R value acoustic underlayment?

Discussion on R Values related to carpet & heated floors below. I don't know much but I went with the Floor Muffler for my floor that has an R rating of 3 but has higher ratings in the other features it has and the store where I bought my wood from recommended it. Maybe the article below will help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion on R Values related to carpet & heated floors

o
Another Link for you that is more related to your question - Reco

This article discusses that the low R-Value lets the heat radiate better to the surface and it is better to use a thinner engineered wood board also.

The Floor Muffler has a lower rating. I will post the specs in the next link before I head off to bed.

I saw no one posting to your message so I thought I would help but I am not a flooring professional. I am just someone putting floors down for myself that wanted a pad to insulate but also reduce noise and made in the USA like the Floor Muffler with the Ultra Seal. But I could be wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low R- Value for Radiant-System-Floor-Coverings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here