Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matsii

Mohawk carpet- How is 50% Smartstrand /50% BCF P.E.T Polyester??

matsii
10 years ago

I have been looking for carpeting for about 1500 sq/ft in my home for a family room, halls, and bedrooms and stairs.
I think the Smartstrand sounds great.
But the carpet salesman in the local retail store showed me carpet that was not 100% Smartstrand but 50% P.E.T. poly also. He said it is just as good and that the polyester enhances the look... It is the Floorscapes Endless Opportunity and is priced at $5.60/sq.ft which includes all installation and everything except taxes. Higher than I wanted to spend.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
I like the colors and it seems to be a medium weight and fairly soft feel. But I would like it to wear well and resist stains.
The more research i do the more confused I get... but most good reviews on Smartstrand seem to refer to only the 100% Smartstrand product.
One salesman in a different store insisted that Nylon was better...
Thank you for any help as I am getting very confused!

Comments (5)

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

I'm no carpet expert, but can only tell you how happy we are with Smartstrand. We have always previously bought the 'wrong' carpet- too cheap, wrong color, wrong texture. This time we decided to get top of the line carpet that would last and look beautiful. We absolutely love the Smartstrand we selected.

• matsii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Thanks for your follow up.
    I think Smartstrand sounds great but the product my retailer is suggesting is only 50% Smartstrand. The other 50% is P.E.T.Polyester....
    so I am trying to find out if the polyester diminishes the good qualities of the Smartstrand.
    Someone suggested it is a marketing tactic to make more profit?? so am kind of confused.. thanks...
    But I really like one of the colors of the carpet I am considering...
    so I will try to find out some more
    Thanks

• katiegirl121
    10 years ago

Hi
    I am faced with the same issue so was wondering what you decided. I love a carpet that is in the Smartstand everyday range and is 50/50 smartstrand PET. But another carpet salesperson said it would flatten. Would be really intestered in any more info and what you decided on in the end.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

I had my heart set on Smartstrand but I wanted a mottled color and SS didn't have any. I wonder if these blends are the best of both worlds? I am early in my build so I haven't had to make a final decision. Please update.

• katiegirl121
    10 years ago

We are in the early stages of our build process too but our builder wants me to make all the decisions in the next few weeks. I still love a carpet from the SS Stone Peak range. The Carpet Court sales person told me Signature Homes use it in their show homes so on
    Saturday I went to visit the showhome only to find it had been sold the week before. I love the look of the Stone Peak range and that it is mottled and shows less tracking then the other ranges so I will probably go for it. Perhaps it is the best of both worlds and it does still come with a 20 year warranty.