Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpet sits below base board/crown molding

Posted by dpham20 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 0:55

I'm having a contractor redo some crown molding and had lowes put in new carpet for a house i just purchased. After the carpet and crown molding were put in there is a small gap between the bottom of the molding and top of the carpet in certain areas. The contractor says there is waves in the carpet that make it that way. Is it possible to put something underneath the carpet where it meets the crown molding to raise it a bit? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpet sits below base board/crown molding

Crown molding is trim that goes along the ceiling. Are you talking about baseboards?

A photo of the problem area would be helpful.

o

yes i apologize the base boards is what i meant. I'll take pictures next time i go there but here's a drawing of what i'm talking about from a side angle

o

There may be dips in the floor itself and that may be why the bottom of the baseboard does not touch the carpet in some places.

Baseboard in rooms where carpet is scheduled is usually installed first and then the carpet is fit up to that...at least that is how it is usually done in my neck of the woods.

o

Also, the location of the tack strip which can easily not be in line with your baseboard can cause gaps. Low pile carpet can exaggerate this condition. A baseboard which isn't straight can cause the problem (they do warp).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here