Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Hearth and Flooring Installation Advice!

Posted by BlackChamois (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 0:43

(Note: this is a x-post to the remodeling and fireplace forums as well.)

I am redoing my fireplace (mantel, surround and hearth). I am ALSO installing new wood floors. The mantel will be wood, while the surround and hearth a stone tile. I believe, by code, I am required to have a hearth. It will not be a raised hearth, but rather flush with the floor.

My questions are these:
1) Should the hearth tile go down first, and the floor installed "up to" the tile? (I believe so, but wanted to make sure. I guess the only other option would be to install the floor and then cut out a portion for the hearth, which makes no sense to me.)

2) Will I need a "transition" piece to merge from one to the other (from floor to tile - like a threshold)? Or can the floor butt directly up to the tile? (I was told I need to allow for expansion and contraction of the flooring, thus the transtion piece was recommended. My concern with this is that I don't want a "bump" in my flooring. Most of the pictures that I have seen of hearths flush with the flooring don't APPEAR to have a transition piece, but maybe I am just not seeing it.)

Any recommendations? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Hearth and Flooring Installation Advice!

The answer to your 2nd question: If you install a floating wood floor, you will need transition moldings for sure to keep the expansion space. If a nail-down or glue-down floor, you will not need transition pcs as long as your hearth stone is close to the height of your finished wood floors. Search on Google images to get ideas. Hope this will help.

o
RE: Need Hearth and Flooring Installation Advice!

UniqueWoodFloor - Thanks. It will be glued down on 1/4 cork. So I will factor the thickness of the wood and thickness of cork vs. thickness of tile. They may have to "build up" the floor under the tile slightly to get to the same height.Thank you for the insight!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here