Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile and Laminate Floor Transition

Posted by OyiwaaNoela (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 0:27

Hello Folks,

Thanks very much for all your assistance. I am installing laminate tiles and I am running into some transition issues with the ceramic tiles they adjoin.

I have a 3/4 inch subfloor. On top of that is a 1/4 inch plywood. The laminate is a tongue/groove (click) type, with an underlayer already attached to it.

I am installing the laminate in a small foyer that sits in front of the laundry room and powder room - both of which have ceramic tiles I installed recently.

Now my issues:

-- First, there is a small (about a 1/4 inch) height (lip) difference between the tiles and laminate tiles (i.e., the tiles slightly taller - - see Figure A & C).

-- Secondly, as Figure B shows, I left about a 4 inch open space in the door-way (between the tiles and laminates).

1. What kinds of transition should I use between the two interfaces?

2. Do the transition strips need to sit directly on the plywood or directly on the subfloor ?

3. Finally, how wide does the transition strip (or space for it) need to be? Is 4inch (between the bathroom and foyer) too wide?

Thanks again for all your responses. Happy 4th !!!

rgds, Oyiwaa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile and Laminate Floor Transition

Have a carpenter make you a notched, wood reducer strip.

o
RE: Tile and Laminate Floor Transition

In retrospect, the laminate flooring should have been continued to abut the tile and door threshold. If you're doing this yourself, and still have some material left, the transitions in A and B could be bridged with another piece of laminate, ripped down to the proper width. C is more difficult, because the boards are cut off and perpendicular to the tile, and you can't lengthen the boards retroactively to meet the tile (but keep that in mind for your next job).

If this isn't possible, then do what stonetech said, and get a couple reducer strips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here