Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing/updating wooden flooring

Posted by Jakzof3 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 0:18

How does one go about making a wood floor look like new again?
Does it have to refinished? Everything taken off and sanded and then re-stained or can it be buffed up and sealed again. Our floor is really still very nice, but with the remodeling it has become scuffed and just has lost that beauty it once had. We don't know who does this service or what it is even called. Is it just refinishing and then a clear coat applied? Hubby and I know it needs to be done but not sure who in our area even does this. Indy area of Indiana.
The floor is dark wood...and has been down for 30 years, but still is very sharp looking...just needs a lift.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing/updating wooden flooring

An additional coat or two on a wood floor is what we used to call a 'buff and coat'. This sounds like what you need. Some of the major finish manufactures have systems for improving the adhesion of the additional coats. Bona Prep and Tykoat are two of these products. Certain contaminants such as wax or silicone which interfere with adhesion are difficult to remove completely. There is some risk that the new finish will lift if there are contaminants on the finish especially at the edges of the boards.

o

Sorry it should be Tykote not Tykoat

o

Thanks

o

Funny you should ask this today.

I just got done using this floor restorer on my engineered hickory wood floors and it looks fantastic. I don't know how extensive you want to go but maybe this is all you need.

Read the reviews and see what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floor restorer

o

I would sand and refinish as some finish wont stick. I would use Waterlox. Great product and I am using it on my hickory 3/4" x 3 1/4. Looks fabulous! Its is expensive here in CA about 100 bucks a gallon, but worth every penny.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here