Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodbyekitty_gw

Install and acclimation questions & more

goodbyekitty
10 years ago

I think I read somewhere it shouldn't matter what type of wood flooring you have installed that it should be the same price per square foot? Really? Even if it's pine or Brazillion Cherry?

Since we are getting really close to ordering wood flooring I'm afraid the delivery date will push us into August or early September. Does it matter if you install in the Summer or Fall for acclimation purposes?

Am I wrong to think that the more layers of finish, the better. What should I be looking for here?

This post was edited by goodbyekitty on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 11:40

Comments (5)

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Price for install should be simlar for any species of wood. The part where price will go up is how its adhered to the floor. If its a glue down price will be higher. If its nail down it will be different. If its snap together it should be cheaper. A lot of it depends also the prep work involved in getting the concrete or subfloor prepared for install.

As far as brand type or number of layers of finish. Thats tough. Theres good brands and crap brands. Most brands from big box stores are junk. But every now and then you could get lucky and not have issues. And the same goes for a good brand from a hardwood floor distributor. Most of the tome you get a quality product but every now and then you get a bad batch. The difference is the hardwood distributor will be more than likely more willing to help resolve said issues.

Acclimation depends on the style of floor. Engineered doesnt need acclimation. Solid prefinish probably will. Biggest thing is having youre house an established environmental control and that the moisture content of both the wood and subfloor is similar. Make sure to read the mills recommendation on that.

• goodbyekitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, thanks Greg. We are pretty close to deciding between either Homer Wood or Shamrock Gasthaus. The young lady at the design shop I visited is steering me towards solid because of our dogs. But I'm hearing that even the engineered these two companies have is really really good.

Such a hard decision. I know with really good brands you shouldn't worry about the wear layer on engineered. With Shamrock I'm looking at 1/8", 3/16" and even less than 1/8th inch. Those thicknesses are kind of scary and it makes me very hesitant even though the Shamrock engineered (or "environeered") is beautiful. Plus, it's made in America.

Thanks again Greg

• bosdiyer
    10 years ago

Hi goodbyekitty. As I understand it, for 3/4" solid flooring, the environment the wood is from can have an effect on how it behaves in your home. Oak or maple from New England or Canada is going to have different issues than wood from South American rain forests with respect to humidity fluctuations. Also, wider planks will be more subject to cupping or splitting if there are significant seasonal fluctuations. I know you're being super cautious about selecting a vendor and a species, but see what your vendor/installer has to say about your selection. Engineered flooring doesn't seem have those issues, but I'm leery of 1/8" finish surface with a dog(s) running about and the possibility of dropping something heavy in the kitchen. Be sure to check on how many refinishing processes it can withstand according to the mfr.

• goodbyekitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I'm worried about the wear layer even though I was reading that wear layer doesn't matter. I've seen 1/8th on some beautiful floors but, really? I don't think so!

One shop was showing me some movement on a wood floor and it wasn't very much (but maybe he was showing me engineered, I will have to go back and find out). I wouldn't have known if he hadn't pointed it out to me so its not a deal breaker for me.

I've had two shop owners show me engineered and one shop owner who steered me towards solid because of our dogs. One of the 'engineered' shop owners said because of our weather, the engineered wood would be the most stable. Although we live in Washington State, central Washington is very dry in the summer with desert like weather and winter can get down in the teens with some heavy snow days.

I will probably go with solid, since I can't really find a local shop that offers engineered in a wear layer I am comfortable with, in a hard finish, in my price range.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Another thing to keep in mind is the wear layers in engineered floor says you can refinish it "x" number of times. But dont be fooled. Getting an amateur refinishing that will mean buying a brand new floor. It takes a very precise professional who knows what hes doing in order to refinish engineered more than once.

With pets or small children just beware youre floor regardless of style is going to get dinged scratched and beat up pretty fast.