Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
locrian_gw

Question about EVA Foam Closed Cell Tiles

Locrian
9 years ago

We're working on restoring an older (1952) ranch "bungalow" house. It originally had linoleum in the kitchen and living room, with carpeting in the hall, bedrooms and bathrooms.

We took out all of the deteriorating carpeting. It was just laid down over the slab. Now we're tiptoeing through the concrete.

It's a very informal house. Open kitchen & living room. No dining room. No entry way, foyer, or mud room. Three bedrooms. One & half baths. A little under 1300-sq'. Did I mention the concrete slab?!? ;-)

My task is to find flooring...suitable for a retired DH, a large amputee dog, couple of small cats, and an old gal who has to clean up after the hoards. We live in a more rural area of SW Louisiana, are prone to fleas & other creepiecrawlies, torrential rains, visitors who either kick off their boots at the door or carry house shoes.

Wall-to-wall Carpeting is definitely off the list.
Ceramic & Porcelain tiles are definitely off the list.
Laminate planks are too slick & slippery. (We had it in another house.)
Hardwood is a possibility. (DH doesn't really like the hardness, tho.)
Rubber is a possibility. (Colours are a bit funky but I think they're fun)

I found the EVA Foam tiles while looking at rubber tiles. They come in wood grain and cork patterns, are 1/2-inch thick, 24-inch squares. They snap together jigsaw puzzle style and have different edging options (straight & beveled (probably similar to bull nosed)). One good thing is, they're rated for wet areas!

Has anyone used this kind of tile on this list? What were your experiences; the good, the bad, the ugly?

Given the style & age of the house, especially being slab, would it be in keeping? I'm leaning toward the cork pattern personally.

I'd love a floating cork plank floor but it's all veneers and I'm loath to go that route. Especially walking right into the living room from the great out-of-doors...

TIA for any shared experiences, hints, tips, and suggestions!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath