Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msavold

Maine Timber Works? Any experience?

msavold
13 years ago

Has anyone dealt with Maine Timber Works for wide plank flooring?

Their prices seem quite good but I can't find anything on line about them.

(Their samples look good - the only thing I wonder about is that the relief grooves on the bottom are the shallowest (smallest?) of any of the samples we have and, honestly, I'm not sure what the implications of that difference are...)

TIA,

Mauro

Comments (26)

• idrive65
    13 years ago

There are no implications in the difference of relief grooves, so whatever criteria you use to choose a company, you can ignore THAT one.

• GardenGuppie2
    13 years ago

Like "timberhouse", I too had a very similar unhappy experience in 2010 with Maine Timber Works. Many milling issues, many excuses, refund checks I could not cash, etc. 4 different flooring installers said the flooring I received was substandard. Had to work with a lawyer to get my refund. Nice people, but not worth the aggravation.

• MTW_midmaine_com
    13 years ago

Truly sorry to hear about these complaints today. I am totally unaware of the issues with timberhouse but am well aware of the issues with Garden Guppie and there is a lot more to that issue than what was said. In short Garden guppies first installer was unhappy that the home owner went with us and not his supplier. Then upon arrival of our flooring I was told how beautiful it was by the home owner but due to unproper climatizing of the wood for over a month the home owner tried to inform us that the wood was defective and wanted to return it. I brought him more flooring done exactly the same way, I also looked at the old flooring and really saw no issues with it, we even installed some of the leftover in our home. So please people before judging Maine Timber Works, give me a call on my cell 207-778-1745 and I will give you many many references. TimberHouse please contact me if you would like so I know what the issues were. Thank you.

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

Pretty much everyone knows I am a huge proponent of Maine small businesses, so after reading up on this issue, I would say Lynn, maybe you should check in with the BBB and see why they are giving you an "F" rating. Here on GW that's like customer repellant. If you can resolve the complaints maybe your rating will go up and people wiill regain trust with your company
    . msavold- while you are waiting you might try Atlantic Hardwood, another Maine company. Their wide plank walnut is dreamy. Their BBB rating is A+.
    Maine Traditions has an unfinished line, but not very wide. I just toured their warehouse last week and was impressed by the climate and humidity control. Just be aware of the average board length- sometimes it's a bit short. I just bought 1600 sf of ash - stunning- very long boards- but I also looked at the walnut which had much shorter boards.
    If you are interested in Maine Traditions, let me know and I can give you the salespersons contact info who got me an amazing price compared to other sales people I have worked with.
    I hope you find the floor of your dreams!

• MTW_midmaine_com
    13 years ago

Blondie, sure wish you would have contacted us and checked us out. We offer long length walnut and ash and all of our flooring is dried down to between 6 and 8 %. If the wood is not at the level we won't even mill it into flooring until it is. We take great pride in our flooring and I sure wish people would contact us before going on the words of an upset customer. There will always be that one who makes it miserable for everyone else.

• lindberg_gogebicrange_net
    12 years ago

I ordered Oak Flooring from Maine Timber Works May 2010 and no flooring ,just a lot of stories ,my customer and I are getting impatient with all the excuses . We need this flooring so we can finish this project so they can enjoy there new floor. I trusted this company they tell a good story ,maybe they should sell there stories instead of flooring!!!!!!!

• TristianR
    11 years ago

I have recently just bought wood from them to do my flooring in my house, and it turned out absolutely beautiful. They have come a long way since 2010. I absolutely recommend getting wood from them.

• GardenGuppie2
    10 years ago

A March 2013 report was filed with the BBB

Here is a link that might be useful: March 2013 BBB Review of MTW

• kayakboy
    10 years ago

Always suspicious when someone registers, post some glowing review the same day, and is never seen again.

• UpsetMainer
    9 years ago

Everyone! Listen up! These guys are an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE!! I fell for the "pre-paid discount" and send them (yes, I was an idiot) $3500+ and they NEVER DELIVERED THE PRODUCT NOR DID THEY REFUND MY MONEY. LYNN has promised repeatedly that I would have my money refunded "by next week", over a dozen times I'd estimate. I am currently scheduled to go to small claims court in an effort to FORCE her to pay that refund. They are the single worst company I've EVER dealt with!!! BEWARE!!!

• Townfarm823
    9 years ago

This message goes out to UpsetMainer. I would like to know who you are. Yes I will admit we have been going thru a very rough spell, but we are definitely getting back on track and some customers have been refunded for we were not able to fill our obligations and I want to make sure that you were refunded in full or that you product was delivered. Please message me for I was to make sure that this has been taken care of. My deepest apologies. Sincerely, Lynn. PLEASE CONTACT ME!

• PRO
    J&J Dunay
    8 years ago

DO NOT DEAL WITH maine timber works!! All they sell are excuses!! I ordered siding from them in July of 2014, also fell for the full payment discount. No delivery, NO refund, nothing but excuses, its now April 2015 had to take them to court for refund and they still have yet to pay what the court ordered. I'm currently looking into filing a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center of the FBI.

I suggest you other people that were defrauded by Lynn file a complaint also

http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

STAY AWAY from maine timber works she is a scammer!!

• Monica Brunen
    8 years ago

Fell for the same discount and paid in full. Lynn keeps on promising the delivery but we are already late with the project and will have to go to somebody else. After that we will have to get our money back!

• Monica Brunen
    8 years ago

J&J Dunay, please contact me MBrunen@aol.com. We are in for 5K and I would like to see if we can benefit from mutual experience.

• PRO
    geminicraft
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I dealt with Lynn in the past so I fell for the same discount offer, paid 7k in full and after waiting for almost 4 month realized that this business has deteriorated in the last couple of years. Just ordered from another mill. Anyone can recommend a local lawyer in Rome, ME?

• PRO
    BMRC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

They will deliver weather depending, and the quality which I received per 1200 square feet was excellent for flooring.

• wiangi
    8 years ago

I wish I had read this in advance. I was ripped off by this company this summer. Same prepay scam, then excuses, ultimately no delivery and then they go silent. I asked for my money back for weeks, no response. I don't believe they ever intended to deliver the lumber. If they were a legitimate business it would be no problem to return people's money. I have reported to Maine Attorney General, the Federal Trade Commission consumer complaints division, the Maine state police, my local police, and the bank MTW uses to receive the wired funds. If you have had this experience, this was the course of action recommended by the Maine attorney general. We can only can help stop MTW from doing this to others if we all do something about it and report them to all of these authorities. The FTC will pursue them if there is a pattern, as has been clearly demonstrated on this site and the BBB. They just need to hear our collective experiences directly.

• savannah5115
    8 years ago

Seems many people only write bad reviews but people who actaully have good experience never write about them. Very impressed with my order from Maine Timber Works. Merry Christmas.

• girlx_000
    8 years ago

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE.

Wiangi, I wish I had read this in advance also. I am currently suing them to refund my money and will also file complaints with the agencies you listed above. If you - or anyone - has any other advice, please share it to help others.

• girlx_000
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm glad you had a good experience with them but seriously "for the haters?". It's not hating when the company has taken MANY people's money and promised goods and then failed to deliver either goods OR refund the money for many, many, many months. This has nothing to do with hate or compassion, this is fraud. ANY good faith effort on their part to rectify this situation would have been welcomed and resolved this but instead they have lied REPEATEDLY to me, to my local police department and to the Maine Attorney General's office. I now have to pursue litigation, which is the worst possible scenario for everyone.

For anyone considering doing business with them, please read all the reviews - here, on the Maine BBB site, on yelp and make an informed decision.

• sbeige68
    7 years ago

I'm also pursuing litigation. Maine Timberworks stole $4,000 from me in April and I'm still trying to get it back. The owner is guilty of theft and fraud and I'm going to make sure she doesn't keep stealing from people.

• Nancy Eash
    7 years ago

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE

We are also pursuing litigation! At the request of Maine Timber Works we paid in advance, in the amount of $6857, for lumber we never received. MTW repeatedly lied to us, giving excuses and promises they never kept. We feel that their license to do business should be revoked. We have issued complaints with the New England Better Business Bureau, the Bureau of Corporations of the State of Maine , and the Consumer Protection Division of the State Attorney General's Office.

I am very disturbed by the fraudulent acts of MTW. More than anything I am saddened and resentful that these acts have diminished my fundamental trust in my fellow man.

• gardenguppie3
    6 years ago

Nearly 7 years after my Dec 31, 2010 comment above, it seems Maine
    Timber Works is no longer in business, at least, not under that name.

• markliz
    6 years ago

BEWARE!! Lynn Thomas of MTW should be in jail for all of her scamming!!! We gave her a 50% deposit of $10,000....no product, no refund. Only excuses and lies for years. She is a pathological liar!!! We tried to get the help of the Maine Attorney General...nothing. We hired attorneys....nothing. We have pursued litigation for years...nothing. I will never understand why she is not imprisoned. How do people get away with what she's done? Karma will get her...I can only hope.

• Danny McAvoy
    5 years ago

THIEVES, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Lynn, and her son, John, are grifters. We sent a check for $2800, as a deposit on wood siding, and she never delivered. months later, still making excuses--cancer, her son is broke--too many more excuses to mention. and, this is November 2018, so not exactly an old thread!!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz