Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about carpeting

Posted by marrilyn (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 22:54

I am currently looking at two different types of carpeting for our family room. One is Karastan stainmaster vittoria. It is 100% stainmaster BCF nylon. It seems really thick. One salesman tells me it is overpriced and not worth it.

The other is from Mohawk. The style is called Elegant addition. It is also 100% wear dated soft touch BCF nylon with scotchguard protector. It is softer to the touch but does not seem as thick.

I haven't really priced either on yet, but am just wondering which is the better carpet? The karastan does seem thicker, but the other one is softer. And the Karastan doesn't have as good of warranties as the other.

Any opinions out there?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about carpeting

Karastan is overpriced in my mind. They want the product priced high intentionally to give it status. Stores are not allowed to mention Lowest price or anything of such in their advertisements when it is regarding Karastan. That is Karastan Rule!.The bcf weardated will be better value..Take a long look at Smart Strand from Mohawk...not the Karastan version...the regular Mohawk Smart Strand. That is Mohawks most reliable best product and it will be softer than the Mohawk..is stain proof and wears like iron. Trust me on this one..we carry or have carried all 3 products.I would not give Karastan one dime if I were you. Good Luck

o

Thanks for the input Floortech. You sound like the salesman I spoke with. My decorator is the one who showed me the Karastan and it does seem much thicker. I haven't priced anything yet, just trying to figure out what the best value is.

o

The reason he told you the carpet is over priced is because Karastan, like Stainmaster, is a Brand you are purchasing. Regarding carfpet thickness: Thicker carpet does not mean better carpet. Consider and research Smartstrand. I have links on my website to videos on this carpeting. www.completeflooringaz.com to the carpet link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carpet Tucson

o

It's way beyond the brand issue with karastan...I could tell you all about karastan and you wouldn't want a snibble of it...but they would probaby stalk me down and shoot me. Stick with Smartstrand

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here