Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shopping for durable carpet

Posted by nestledone (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 22:41

I'm shopping around for durable carpet and wanted to know if there are general tips anyone has for finding something durable? I'm intrigued by SmartStrand for its supposed stain resistance, but I've read plenty of horror stories on consumer websites about how it falls out and wears down prematurely. Is this specific to certain smartstrands perhaps or a more general limitation?

Any overall tips for shopping durable carpet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shopping for durable carpet

Carpet pile density is very important when buying carpet. I have seen lesser carpet fibers (polyester) perform well when they are tightly packing into the carpet backing.

Smartstrand is a good fiber, but Mohawk is now regularly blending polyester into their Smartstrand products. Some products have a 50/50 blend or a 75/25 blend.

The Smartstrand line is like everything else - there are budget, entry level versions with very low face weights, low density and low twist; and there are really good ones.

Good twist, a rating of 5 or better along with density as high as possible is what I would look for.

A way to make carpets feel soft is to lower the density. Higher density carpets are firmer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here