Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Floating a floor- would the thickness of the board matter?

susanlynn2012
10 years ago

I have now 5" wide BR-111 Brazilian Cherry 1/2" thick Engineered Wood floated over the Floor Muffler Ultra. My feet still get cold due to the concrete floor under the wood and pad. I can't have rugs in my home office due to my little 3.8 lb dog that marks tiny bits that are easy to clean up and never hurt my wood. After much research and due to not much floor showing in my two room home office (living room and dining room converted into an office) with so much furniture but a more floor showing in my family room 12' X 14'), I would prefer less wide boards that show more color variation and boards not so long. Hence, I am really considering staying with the Brazilian Cherry Floors (have all vents the same color) but in a less wide board.

I am thinking of either the Armstrong Commercial Grade with a coating on top that I had problems scratching in a 3.5" wide board with 4 MM sawn Brazilian Cherry wood on top over plywood that equals 5/8th thickness OR Appalachian Engineered Brazilian Cherry hardwood floors in 3.25" wide, 3/8th thick with 3 MM wood on top that claims to have a 5 year commercial rating on the finish and a 25 year residential rating on the finish.

Would the thicker board be warmer on my feet when I am sitting at my desk?

I had wanted to install a heated floor but it is not in the budget right now with the cost of moving all this office furniture and the additional cost of needing to remove the over 22.5 year old beige carpet upstairs and on the stops.

Thank you in advance for your help. Also I still may change my mind and go with Santos Mahogany that cost a little bit more that will be the same description as just described but since I still have so many matching Brazilian Cherry Vents and I liked both so much, I may be better off going with what I have but in the less wide board that have shorter boards.

Comments (3)

• UniqueWoodFloor
    10 years ago

It does matter. So do the width and length of floating wood floors. In other word, thinner and shorter engineered floor is harder to install, requires higher installing skill and flatter subfloor.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you UniqueWoodFloor for your reply. I will not go with the thinner board then and go with the thicker board. I will see how long the boards are as my floor went up to 72" long. My subfloor is concrete but due to seeing most of the water flowing away from my desk, I think my subfloor is not so flat.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

P.S. I had water damage from a water heater so I am removing the old floor and replacing it with a new floor. I had my 4th estimate come in today and three stores require me to hire a professional moving company. One store will move the file cabinets and furniture if I empty all 14 file cabinets and rent a pod and will charge me $1,000 extra. You should see the moving company quotes that I have been getting that are twice this and I still need to rent a POD. This is getting to be so expensive. I will send the quotes to my insurance company tomorrow and see what they say. I have a 2 room home office downstairs and one room family room where I am installing the new floors after the old floors are removed. The last quote says the quote could be more if when they test the moisture level of my floors, that more work needs to be done drying them as the floor is damaged. My floors are concrete under the damaged floor right now but they were tested to be dry in 2009 when I had the former floor installed.

The flood happened on 3-20-13 and I have since replaced my water heater, replaced all the valves, replaced all the water lines to the toilet, etc. I hope I am OK as I need this project done quickly when the insurance company says OK as I need to be able to get right back to work. I have no basement.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz