Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uponbluemoon

sigh getting so frustrated trying to get hardwood for the bedroom

uponbluemoon
9 years ago

i'm trying to match the existing hardwood in the living area, which looks to be 1/4" cork with 1/2" engineered Brazilian Cherry glued down

my mom and I already ripped out the carpet and found Gypcrete underneath, which is too soft for HD to do a glue down installation. So I called the manufacture and they are okay with a float installation if glue is applied to the joints. I went back to HD with this, and now they refuse to float cork underlayment, saying it must be glued down... They would only float a thinner underlayment which unfortunately won't match the existing floor height

I don't understand why for a float floor the cork needs to be glued down? I've been researching online and everyone is suggesting:

1. 6mil vapor barrier over the Gypcrete
2. float 1/4" cork
3. float 1/2" engineered floor with glue in joints

Should I just look for a handyman to do this?

Comments (3)

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

The HD recommended contractor is NOT an HD employee in the strictest sense of that word.

Find an independent flooring expert who will give you what you want, NOT a handyman.

There are ways to prepare gypcrete for gluedown installations. I don't know if that is still done, but it may be worth researching.

I have floated cork underlayment, so I don't understand why it is not being suggested by the HD contractor, but it probably may have to do with the flooring manufacturer's installation guidelines and warranty.

• jfcwood
    9 years ago

If the installer isn't comfortable with doing what you want, they're not likely to change their mind. Find another contractor and tell them you won't hold them responsible for adhesion failure.
    I've been told to be wary of Gypcrete but an old client of mine bought a house with engineered plank glued directly to Gypcrete. When he wanted to add wood in the bedrooms, I duplicated what was there with no problem. I did inform him that it wasn't recommended and that I couldn't assume the risk if it failed.
    Engineered flooring shouldn't move enough to pull the Gypcrete apart but it would be a good idea to do a bond test. That said, I see no reason why floating cork wouldn't work. It would be better to use the squares than the rolls. I also see no reason why you couldn't glue down the cork and float the wood except that it may not provide the same relief from stress at the joints as a foam underlayment, if the subfloor is a little uneven.
    It might not be a bad idea to roll on a coat of something like contact cement or flat trowel a layer of adhesive as a primer.
    I'm pretty risk averse but I'd have little reservation about doing this.

• uponbluemoon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks guys, i'm calling several local pros recommended by homeadvisor to get quotes. the manufacturer is okay with the way i want to install the floor

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks