Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Issue staining Red Oak hardwood floor (Dark Stain)

Posted by GiuseppeM (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 21:08

Hi guys, I have a question I'd like to ask to the expert on the forum and to the members that have already dealt with this...

The contractor has just finished installing the hardwood floor on the first level, and he's gonna start the main level in a couple days.

I have told him that I like a really dark stain, I originally used a sample of the floor he gave me (4" Select or Better unfinished Red Oak) and I stained it with Minwax Jacobean.

I really liked the result...but unfortunately he forgot to mention that the stain gets darker on an unsanded surface...and so when he stained a couple square feet of sanded floor the result was a brown and yellow floor.

I understand Red Oak has a very particular grain, and it will take the stain differently than other species, but I didn't expect the yellow.

He also tried some Ebony but with a similar result.

I saw this pictures on a catalog, it's a prefinished red oak, very dark, and it seems the stain is more constant.

How do you achieve that dark tone throughout the whole floor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Issue staining Red Oak hardwood floor (Dark Stain)

What you have in your pics is a factory finished floor. It is difficult to get that kind of consistent look when staining unfinished, especially if the unfinished has boards with mixed sawing characteristics. The face sawn material will take up and hold the least pigment and will be the yellow boards you are seeing.

We can sometimes get a more even look by using a sand grit sequence to allow more pigment to be deposited on the floor and by doing what we call waterpopping; you may still get variations, but it will look as even as it's going to get. I don't do this...but some of my colleagues will first use an analine dye and then, when it is dry, will follow that up with a pigmented stain.

Talk with your finisher.

o

Thanks I'll tell my finisher about that, i don't know which grit he used here but this is a sample we did of Jacobean + 1 coat oil based finish

o

There seems to be a limit on how dark you can get a floor with stain (pigments). The brand makes some difference. Water popping can help to an extent. With dye you can get jet black if you want it. Dye is usually considered to be harder to work with. You need to be careful to use the correct brand as dye is more prone to fading than pigment. Another option is to add color to the finish coats but many floor finishers consider this a less professional solution. Also it can make the grain of the wood less noticeable.

o

I had the same problem when staining my red oak floors. My wood floor guy made some calls and discovered that adding some stain (10% ratio or less) to the poly darkened the floors the way we wanted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here