Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ijensen_gw

What way to lay laminate flooring?

ijensen
13 years ago

I am wanting to do laminate flooring in a walk through closet and exercise nook in my master suite. To help you visualize what I am concerned about, take a large room, divide it top to bottom in half. On the left size, divide it into 3 room which consist of a master bath in the lower left corner, the walk through closet is the middle room and the top room is the exercise nook. The remaining right side is the master bedroom (adding a few angled walls here and there).

Visually remove the right wall of the top room (exercise nook , leaving it open to the master bedroom - lets call this point "A". The bath is tiled, transiting to the laminate flooring through the doorway exiting the bath entering the closet. The walk though closet also has a doorway which enters to the exercise room. They are directly in line with each other. No problem, I plan to just lay the flooring from one room directly into the other. Now, the issue here is, what direction should I lay the flooring? I had planned on laying it aligned to the door frames, however when I extend to the exercise nook, that would have the plank ends all ending up where the laminate will butt up to carpeting point "A" (the top room right wall visually removed) and the planks looking vertical rather than horizontal along the carpet line (transiting to carpet). What is the rule of thumb? Which way would look more pleasing? Would it be best to lay it vertical to the door frames and when looking from the bedroom side have it horizontal to the carpet line?

Hope I didn't repeat a ?....I looked through the forum and there wasn't one quite like this one.

Thanks for any advise you can share. I appreciate your expertise!!

Enjoy your evening!!!

Comment (1)