Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnie_mom

Can tiled - over terrazzo be saved ?

lynnie_mom
17 years ago

We have a really pretty grey/cream terrazzo floor under the tile and carpet in our house, and I was wondering if anyone knew how likely it is that we will be able to find someone who can rip off the tile & carpet and restore the terrazzo ? And, would anyone know about how much that kind of thing usually runs, ball park ??

Thanks

Comments (8)

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

I can't give you a ballpark figure, but I can tell you it won't be cheap. Basically, what they'll have to do is most of the same steps as when it's first poured-- fine grinding, grouting, and then finish grinding-- but it CAN be done.

• elizabethzen
    17 years ago

lynnie mom
    I am just researching the same project. I live in a 1962 Florida ranch with all cream-colored terrazzo floors that have been tiled, carpeted, and generally abused over the years. I have decided to spend my flooring dollars on their restoration rather than covering them. There does seem to be a great deal more interest in terrazzo now and I am seeing new floors in a lot of public buildings. I because of the popularity of mid-century modern furnishings and decor, terrazzo is being rediscovered and appreciated for its beauty and practicality. My floor restoration is a component of a remodel and I have not yet figured out how to proceed with it - it is a few projects down on my list! Here are some sites I've found with information:

http://www.diapro-canada.com/restoration/terrazzo.html
    http://www.quadrigaltd.com/mat_restoration.html
    http://www.ntma.com/07_2005_honor_awards_desc.php?job_name=stjoseph1
    http://www.substratetechnology.com/terrazzo.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: NTMA National Terrazzo and Mosaic Association

• elizabethzen
    17 years ago

I posted this to the remodeling forum in response to lynnie mom's post there and thought I would post here as well. Anyone else restoring a terrazzo floor? My post:

I am having the same kind of problems with my terrazzo restoration job - my white portland cement terrazzo with blue/gray and taupe marble chips is still stained and dirty looking despite sanding and treating with chemicals. Work has been going on (off and on - the crew shows up for a few days then dissapears for days or even weeks) since the beginning of November. I have divots where they drilled out holes that have not been refilled and whole sections of the floor that they have barely worked on, even two places where they have not yet cut off the nail heads!

This mess is delaying my whole kitchen restoration. I really want beautiful restored terrazzo floors, but this is maddening! Also, this company (listed on the NTMA site) is the only outfit in town that sands and restores terrazzo.

Elizabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: HF terrazzo restoration problems

• glennsfc
    17 years ago

Yes it CAN be done, as Bill says...and YES, it is expensive...and YES, it can be maddening when the contractor doesn't show up consistently or at all. But, it is the nature of the beast. There are very few experienced terrazzo finishers on the planet.

I suggest that if you find one who does good work, do all you can to make that person want to work for you. Say one thing 'wrong' or be the least bit 'combative' or 'confrontational' and you're going to be looking at your broken floor for a long time.

Respect them and allow them to work and you'll have a beautiful thing at the end of it.

The same thing can be said for other people working in skilled 'trades'...treat them with respect and your job usually will come out great.

Have a happy new year everyone!

• floorman67
    17 years ago

Amen, Glenn !

More than a few obsessive compulsive consumers found themselves dealing with their unwanted flooring for a very long time after voicing themseves to very busy, skilled craftsmen because they just needed to be heard, especially those in cusom repair professions that there arent many that do that type of work.

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

elizabeth-- DO NOT try and DIY this. As for the holes, the only way to repair them would be to match up the marble chips that were originally used, as well as finding out if this was just normal cement based or resin terrazzo (the thickness will tell you), and if it's cement based, whether it was thinset (mixed with an additive and poured only about 1/2" thick) or thickset and mixed with water (about 1" thick). Once all that's determined, then those holes can be patched. As for actually refinishing the floors, it's EXTREMELY critical that you know exactly what you're doing when refinishing. It only takes a split second, and you can ruin the floor. If these jamochs won't get off their butts, find someone else. Again, I say DO NOT DIY this. It's not a DIY project.

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

I checked that first link in the terrazzo repair thread in the DIY forum. I'm HOPING Harry Dunbar told em to leave it to the pros!!