Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unwittingly removed asbestos floor tiles. What's the deal?

Posted by scared_weekend_tiler (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 18:07

Can someone please explain something to me? What is the deal with asbestos? Really.
I recently removed a small, 17-square ft. area of old 9X9 1960s VATs (vinyl-asbestos tiles) and didnt realize it until two weeks later. I used a little bit of adhesive remover and a heat gun and scraped them up. NO mask. And, in fact, while we were preparing the surface for the new floor, the scraps of VAT were sitting in a bucket and in my dry vac canister.
There was no dust.
Anyway, upon realizing what I had done, I called my doctor who said, "two weeks exposure is an extremely short exposure time, and theres really no reason to worry." My daughters pediatrician said the same thing, more or less. Still, I didnt calm down or stop worrying because of the latency period thing. That is, I was worried that any one of the people living in my house could get sick 10 to 50 years down the road.
Now, Im reading about how VATs are no/low-risk because the asbestos is bound-up in the compound. Its "part of the matrix." A piece in the SF Gate even states that vinyl floor tiles that contain asbestos pose no risk even if they are disturbed because of the way they were manufactured. Also, from what I understand, VATs contain a comparatively low % of asbestos, anywayespecially compared to other residential asbestos products.
Anyway, should I be worried? Or should I let it go? There seems to be a lot of doomsday-ish, very grim asbestos information on the web, but Im now wondering how many of these websites are sponsored by law firms for whom asbestos torts = $$$. I have to admit, Im hard pressed to find either a single instance (online) of a person ever developing a long-term illness from a popcorn ceiling, VATS, or any other residential asbestos products.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unwittingly removed asbestos floor tiles. What's the deal?

I was a controller and project manager for an asbestos abatement company and we made a lot of money removing tiles. But I will never understand why. Many many people happily live with encapsulated asbestos in their popcorn ceilings, mastic for tile and joint compound. It is all contained with a matrix that holds it together. Your chance of problems are much lower than the chance of getting hit by a bus in your living room. I am basing that on hundreds of asbestos air tests conducted during tile removal operations and after the close of operations. It just isnt an issue. Popcorn can be a little different if removed dry, but spray with water and again no problem. Then there are different types of asbestos, some of which are no problem but get grouped in with the dangerous types, not that they are safe safe, but much less likely to cause a problem. I forget which is which now. You are fine. Also dont do it again. Understand what can have asbestos in it, if you remove it or damage it then wear a HEPA mask, use water to keep dust down, use plastic to seal the room and then roll up the debris in the plastic and take it all to the dump.

o

Your 9"X9" tile could have been what is called asphalt tile; still has asbestos in the matrix, but no vinyl.

I agree that you really have to work hard to release enough fibers to create a hazardous condition.

I agree with the first poster about chances of being hit by a bus in your living room. However, that said, I have no way of knowing where you house is situated and how many buses come down your street at what speed!

o

The asbestos in asphalt tile is locked in very tightly.

Unless you took a power sander to the tiles nothing was released.

The tile does not even meet the EPA definition of 'friable' since you cannot crush it with your bare hands.

The plaintiffs bar has put an enormous amount of disinformation out there to manufacture wins in court.

o

my brother also works for an asbestos abatement company and these tiles can be placed in the trash. There are very alarmist kinds of postings but your in good shape. I worked for Armstrong and unfortunately people have sued simply cause they live in a bldg with asbestos tile floors etc etc. You'd have to sand the tiles to release the asbestos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here